Foggy Sunset

Foggy Sunset
Photo by Aisling Doonan

Tuesday, 6 December 2016

Lime Pea Pi Shawl

It's always fun to knit the same pattern a second time with a little bit of a difference. I finished a new design a little while ago - my Ruby Pi Shawl, and I enjoyed the process so much I thought I would try it in a finer yarn. The original shawl is knit in Jamieson's Ultra Lace Yarn (colour Lava) and it makes a very warm and useful shawl or sofa blankie. This time I wanted something a little luxurious and light. 


I used Colourmart Cashmere Silk 2/28NM laceweight yarn in the colour Lime Pea. It is beautiful to work with from the cone, so soft and silky and fine. I used a 3.25mm needle and the shawl is 54" across and makes a comfortable shawl size. The shawl weighs 94g and I used approximately 1,441 yards altogether.


The pattern itself is easy to memorise and there are rest rows every second row for the most part, so you get a lot of impact for such a simple design. It's perfect TV knitting!


Looking forward to releasing the pattern soon, I have a few techie issues to iron out first.


Happy knitting

xxx

3 comments:

  1. Gah, this is beautiful! I've never knit a pi shawl before ... do I dare?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, do!!! Definitely do! Pi shawls are deceptively easy and they look great with or without pattern. Check out Elizabeth Zimmermann's Almanac

      Delete
  2. You never cease to amaze me. It's tedious enough (for me) to knit one pi shawl out of lace weight, but the thought of knitting one twice?? The people like you balance out the people like me. LOL I have one pi shawl out of luxurious merino silk that has been sitting untouched for a number of years. It's an enjoyable knit - I have to tink back a couple of rows once I do pick it back up, but I actually don't mind. It's just the fact that it takes soooo long! A pair of socks in a month is quick compared to this shawl! You know, I think I just realized something. Maybe I wouldn't mind putting in some time on the pi shawl if I had other, quicker knits going at the same time. Productive knitting *and* longterm knitting. That sounds like a doable game plan, but will have to wait until the middle of January at the earliest. Thanks for the inspiration!! ;)

    ReplyDelete