Foggy Sunset

Foggy Sunset
Photo by Aisling Doonan

Wednesday, 24 August 2016

Williamson Shawl

Good afternoon all! I have been missing in action again. I have no excuse except mild laziness coupled with a lot of knitting and brain explosions concerning knitting and all that good stuff. But more on that later.

Right now, I think I owe you all a glimpse into what has been tripping off the needles lately and what I have been doing with myself. The summer is almost over (before it got a chance to get a toe hold) and I have been planning like a demented wasp on fermented fruit.


As you can see from the lovely photo's, lace is still forefront in my  life. This is my Williamson Stole that has snuggled shamelessly in my work in progress box for a long, long time. Too long. I can't explain why, except that it was a large project and I needed to start a few other things in between, but I cast on with such ambition in August 2013 and I honestly didn't think I would take three whole years to complete it.

The stole is magnificent, warm, light, perfect pattern and the cosiest wrappiest yummiest size! I enjoy wrapping myself up in this one, there's something so lovely about a stole compared to a square shawl, none of the design gets lost with folding and you can enjoy every square inch from a gentle distance.


The exact details are as follows:-

Needles: 2.25mm
Size: 7.5' x 3'
Yarn Amount Used: 2,590 yards approx



I opted to go with the original motif layout, meaning that the motifs don't line up, but that was the charm of this shawl for me. It spoke to me, I loved how human it made it instead of having perfection in regimental order. 


I think I knit 11 repeats of the centre pattern, the joy in stoles is that you can measure as you go, and I would occasionally stop knitting and stretch it out against my wingspan, hitting whoever was sitting beside me on the sofa in my enthusiasm.


As it grew, so did an anxious little voice in my head, "where am I going to block it?" I have blocking mats, but the length was giving me palpitations as I'm short on floor space. I managed to squash it in the sitting room with all the furniture hugging the walls and the children under strict instructions now to move a muscle for 24 hours. In fairness, they are so used to pins on the floor now, that they move with extreme caution at all times.

So that is my beautiful Williamson Shawl. It's my homage to the wonderful Shetland knitters who knit the first one and to the group of Ravelry Knitters who saw the beauty and wanted to recreate the pattern and share it with the knitting community.

I heartily recommend it, you'll most likely finish it way quicker than I did!

I have a few more blog posts planned with all my other news, so stay tuned!

Happy knitting

xxx




5 comments:

  1. stunning, just absolutely stunning -

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your work is always exquisite

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. That is so gorgeous. Someday, I hope to aspire to something so grand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all. I truly do love this yarn and it knits up so beautifully and blocks so well that I can't gush enough. It makes my projects a pleasure to knit and a delight to wear. The pattern itself is only garter stitch with knit 2 together and yarn overs, so I would advise anyone to have a go, it's not as intimidating as it looks at all. Please share if you cast on!

    ReplyDelete