Foggy Sunset

Foggy Sunset
Photo by Aisling Doonan

Tuesday, 31 May 2016

Lusna Finale!

Oh my! She's done! 



Lusna is now officially off the needles and blocked. I have to say, this was an interesting project. My first time using an ethereal yarn (especially for such a large undertaking) and 1.5mm needles. I learnt that silence was my best friend and I needed to focus 100% on my hands and their work. I have watched little or no TV since I cast on as I could not concentrate on both like I usually do. With larger needles and yarn, I can trust my hands to go solo for a bit, while I converse or catch up with the latest Game of Thrones episode, hee hee. Not so with the ethereal yarn. I was conscious the entire time of snagging or pulling too hard on the thread. Even though I was fairly confident with it's strength, I didn't want to take any chances. The result was worth it, I have a feather light wispy scarf that looks and feels so magical it takes my breath away. 



Once it was blocked and I took the pins out, it had transformed from a bunched up fluff ball to a floaty and delicate piece of art. I am so in love with it and delighted I took the plunge. The pattern itself turned out to be beautiful in it's own right too. I never swatched, which I know is completely wrong, but I was willing to take the chance and go for it. Watching the pattern emerge for the first time was so much fun. 


Pattern: Lusna by Rubysasha Designs
Yarn: Ethereal Cashsilk by Heirloom Knitting
Needles: 1.5mm Addi Lace Circulars
Yardage: 1,330 yards approx
Size: 22" x 52"
Weight: 18g




I have the pattern mostly written up, I need to fix a few errors now that I have knit it through from top to bottom but all in all, I think it's ready for the general population as soon as I can pop it up! I finished a pair of socks after Lusna was completed and now I'm back to my Williamson Shawl, whose edging needs to be finished. The needles and yarn feel so large, my mind can't get used to them, hilarious because they are small by anyones standards! 2.25mm needles and gossamer wool. Funny how your brain becomes so used to things being a certain way. 



So I have lots to catch up on now, and I have a competition to enter, so adieu for the moment. I will keep you all updated with my progress in the RDS National Crafts Competition

Wish me luck. 

Happy knitting 

xxx

20 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! Best wishes on the RDS competition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll keep you all posted on my progress :)

      Delete
  2. It takes my breath away it's so lovely! My goodness, you have very such a beautiful piece that will be Cherished for years. Congrats! Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't stop staring at it or touching it, it really is so light and magical! Thank you :)

      Delete
  3. Oh, I gasped when I saw this! What an incredible undertaking and magnificent result!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was a lot of work, but so worth it in the end.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful shawl!!
    I'm looking forward for the pattern!!
    So one ball of yarn was enough... I may use the same yarn for this pattern when you publish it, this yarn looks gorgeous on your pattern <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I have a lot of yarn left, I could have knit a few more centre repeats if I had, had the time and still only used one ball. I think there is over 1,800 yards in 25g!

      Delete
  5. I want that so bad! It's like something from a fairy tale, something a princess would have.
    I actually didn't know there was yarn lighter than gossamer. It sounds both amazing and terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heehee, it was both equally at the same time! It required full concentration at all times, now that I have finished I don't quite know what to do with myself.

      Delete
  6. This is such a beautiful piece! The pattern is as ethereal as the yarn. Can't wait until the pattern is available for purchase. Will it be posted on Ravelry or somewhere else?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sally, yes I will be publishing it on ravelry, sometime in the next few months. Thank you for your kind words :)

      Delete
  7. I have so enjoyed watching your progress on this piece! It's gorgeous! Can't wait until the pattern is availabe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was so much fun mixed with fear to knit, haha, I am currently working on the pattern, so stay posted!

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on your award. I was at the Horse Show in the RDS yesterday and visited National Crafts Exhibition while I was there - specially to see Lusna. It is a wonderful piece of work and your prize is well deserved

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Hilary, I am delighted that you got to see it in the flesh, the exhibition truly is wonderful and there are so many beautiful things there. I am so delighted to be part of it. Thanks again for your lovely comment, it's very much appreciated!

      Delete