Foggy Sunset

Foggy Sunset
Photo by Aisling Doonan

Tuesday, 29 December 2015

2015 Catch-Up

Hello all! I didn't realise I had been gone so long, after such a good October, I have disappointed myself by forgetting to check in for the past two months. I have still been knitting away happily in the background, so I'll give a quick run down of the last 8 weeks knitting before I make my plans and knitty resolutions for 2016.



I bought the Shetland Wool Week Annual 2015 (Ravelry link) in October (I think!) and I fell head over heels in love with the Scallafield Handwarmers by Hazel Tindall. I bought the yarn, exactly the same as the photo's in the book and quickly knit up the mitts. The knitty part of my brain was doing overtime, I bought extra of two of the main colours with the intention of knitting a matching cowl using the motifs from the gloves, I had plenty of yarn and I used 6 repeats of the motif for a snug yet perfect neck huggler. I lined the inside with the softest yarn I had in stash, alpaca, and even though it was DK and not 4ply but I fiddled around with the figures and decreased what turned out to be the perfect number! I even grafted the top closed for a seamless and perfect finish. I'm very proud of my cowl and it's kept me toasty over the past few weeks.



I had a cardigan to knit for a friend then, she provided the yarn and I knit it up in 8 days. The cardigan was 97-10 Loosely Knitted Cardigan with Curved Edges by DROPS design and it was a great quick but effective knit. I love how the ribbed edges flare out and curve around the body. It's not fitted but it's not loose and it's very comfortable and flattering on. I think I'd like one for myself too, so I might just grab some aran and start as soon as silly season is over.


Next came the cutest little tree mittens that ever graced a scrawny pine. They were a gift, complete with initials and the year, as the family they went to are building a tradition with them. I think I will write up a pattern for them and have them ready for sale for next year, because they were seriously cute.



My last project is my current one, and hopefully soon to be off the needles. I am making my traditional annual Hap Shawl. I find them irresistible at this time of year and love picking out new colours to play with. They are simple to make but look intricate with the waves and colour changes. This year the colours are greens, blues and purple. I will have to come up with a suitable seaside wintry name for her. If you have any ideas, let me know! She will be larger than my last one, I added several more repeats as I was feeling cold and needed a bit of woolly reassurance.



So what's next? What is the plan for 2016? We are days away from a squeaky clean fresh new year and today is the first time I have sat down to think about it! in 2015, not withstanding any works on the needles, I have knit

13,338 yards of yarn


Imagine! That's almost 12.2 kilometres! I'm suddenly rather impressed with my needles. They really do wear rather well for such mileage,

My plans so far for the next twelve months are to finish 2 shawls, my Williamson and my Princess and to do something daring and adventurous to enter into the RDS National Crafts Competition. That should keep me very occupied up until June. For the second half of the year, I want to launch my patterns again and get my Ravelry pattern shop up and running again. I have plans for a series of accessories that I want to try out, so I am looking forward to that. Somewhere in between all this frantic fine knitting and pattern writing I would love another fair isle cardigan, maybe another yoked one. They are so much fun to knit and I adore picking the colours, my needles are twitching excitedly at the thoughts of it!

So what are your knitty plans for 2016? Any major projects? Any secret ones? Or maybe 2016 is the year to finish all those sad languishing half made socks and baby presents! I'd love to know!

Wishing you all a very happy, peaceful, prosperous and industrious new year, full of finished projects and yarn to inspire you.

Happy knitting

xxx

5 comments:

  1. Well, there are two babies coming next year, a month apart: one in February, the other in March. I want to make a hap blanket for one, and a cabled blanket for the other.
    Then I want to knit myself a stranded vest of my own design. I have a mystery KAL for stranded mittens coming up in January. Plus the Stranded group on Ravelry is doing a Sweet 16 challenge where you knit 16 stranded items in 2016, so I'm sure I'll be doing my best to complete that one.
    I want to knit my dad a scarf and my sister some stranded slippers (I just didn't have time to make them for Christmas, despite my belated but valiant efforts).
    Yep, I have my year all planned out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just realized that I knit 14 stranded projects this year, 15 if you count one I started last December and finished in February. 16 should be no problemo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you will be a very busy busy little bee! Sounds very soothing actually, I love fair isle and it always feels like meditation to do. I am still considering what cardigan I will choose, but I think it will probably be one of Kate Davies Yokes. I can't wait to see your baby hap blanket, and the colours you pick. They always make such happy presents. Good luck and happy knitting :)

      Delete
  3. I was okay until I got as far as 'occupied up until June' ... then I burst out laughing. Shame on me, I know.

    I am going to survive January and February, which promise to be busy as I am designing something with a February 2nd deadline, but the yarn is shipping this week and I've never worked with it before. I have another commission due in February, and my entire living room/dining room is going to be unavailable for a week due to sheetrocking. I think someone expects me to prime and paint it in February, too. That may not happen. After that, I have no idea. Work on getting my stash down a bit, most likely, with Latvian mittens and suchlike, plus a new pair of felted clogs for myself and my son would like new clogs and some gloves whose fingers haven't been reknit/mended several times. So many ideas lurking around the edges! But first, to survive January and February.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, how I admire your knitting skills. The cowl you made is beautiful. I received a book for Christmas on fair isle knitting. I need to learn how to accomplish this type of knitting. The mittens are adorable. Happy New Year, Pat

    ReplyDelete