Foggy Sunset

Foggy Sunset
Photo by Aisling Doonan

Thursday, 1 October 2015

Creative Bootcamp Day 1

Hello all, I hope today is treating you all nicely and that you are being good to the universe in return.


I am very excited today, as I have committed myself to a month long creative bootcamp run by Jane Barry of the delightful That Curious Love of Green blog. It begins today and runs for the entire month of October and each participant must partake in daily journalling and at least one other artistic endeavour.


I have chosen to do the morning pages from Julia Cameron's The Artist's Way, three pages of writing first thing, with no editing, no over thinking, just filling those three pages with words, any words.


I initially thought that these pages would end up being the same as my private journal, with a run down of the day gone by, how I was feeling or observations, but I was wrong. They really are a different sense of writing, you relax your shoulders and just fill the page, absolutely anything can come out! You don't have a direction or destination, there are no rules, just words, in sentences, falling out of your head. I am excited to see at the end of the month, what my notebook will look like. 


For my artistic endeavour, I had a few things that I wanted to try. I love taking photo's but never seem to have my camera handy whenever something jumps out at me and screams to be captured. So for the month I will be bringing my camera everywhere with me and I *will* stop the car/whatever I'm doing and take that photo, when the universe yells at me to do so.


The morning was chilly and foggy so I took my phone outside for some quick shots. I had no plan in mind, but I got close up to the dew on the cobwebs and quickly became mesmerised. You don't see it unless you get up real close but I could hear the splat and plop of the heavier droplets as gravity took over and they hit the leaves of the trees below. 


The forestry nearby was in constant movement as every droplet hit a leaf that moved the stem below it. Soft swishes and plops whispered through the branches, the forest was alive.


I also wanted to try a little sketching and painting. I loved art in school but it has been years since I used a pencil or watercolour. 


So I took out my colouring pencils and paint set today and tried to paint a picture. My first try was ridiculously bad. My head wasn't listening to eyes and my hand wasn't paying attention to either of them, so I began again. 


Luckily, all three decided to try and work together on the second attempt and I came up with something not fit for the bin. I need a lot of practice still, but at least I enjoyed the process and I'm pleased with the end result. 


So far I am encouraged. The first day can either be the hardest or the easiest, I know there will be days where I will struggle to be creative but that's what it's all about.


Having a group to support and encourage you is also good and I'm off now to see what visual goodies the other's have come up with!


I will be posting each day alongside any of my usual posts, so hang on for a busy month.


Until tomorrow...


Happy creating






















4 comments:

  1. What a fun endeavour! I look forward to your posts this month, and hope you've not set the cardigan entirely aside?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn, no don't worry, I am almost finished my second sleeve. I hope to start the body tomorrow and I can't wait to get to the fair isle part as that's going to be so much fun :)

      Delete
  2. Hello fellow Creativity Bootcamper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos are stunning! I love your drawing too; very pretty :D

    ReplyDelete