Foggy Sunset

Foggy Sunset
Photo by Aisling Doonan

Thursday, 24 September 2015

Winter Happy Cardigan

Ooh, I am so excited! I couldn't wait to get the last pair of socks I was knitting off the needles, even though they were delicious in their own right. Sorry poor wee Opal Socks that I do honestly adore, but...it's that time of year again.


I am getting very chilly and the evenings are dark and damp and rather unappealing, so usually around this time of year I begin to crave a certain cosy knitting experience.

Sometimes I choose a Hap shawl, because choosing the colour theme is so much fun, the knitting is soothing and even though the pattern is simple, the colour changes make my heart sing and keep me amused right down to the last stitch.

Other times I choose a cardigan. I have four delightful specimens now in my wardrobe and I love them. They are cosy and fun and go with everything. I definitely need MORE!



So this year I have chosen Kate Davies Cockatoo Brae cardigan. I have chosen my own colour scheme (even though I think Kate's choices are always flawless) but I want a cardigan to go with my current wardrobe and I'm loving the colours that I have picked.


As you can see I am hand knitting the body (there is an option to machine knit the sleeves and body but I don't own such a machine, something I think I will have to rectify in the near future) and I am beginning with the sleeves on double point needles. I am happily knitting round and round without a care in the world, enjoying the slight fluff and scratch of the Jamieson and Smith 2 ply jumper weight in my hands. I love this wool so much, it knits so crisp and perfect and softens the more you wear and wash. I am so excited to get to the yoke and colour work. I have never knit a colour work yoke before and I hope it won't be my last.

I have a full 500g cone of the main colour, so I am hoping to get a second project out of it. The cones from Jamieson and Smith are such great value and there is the added bonus of no joining a new ball of wool. Smooth knitting from beginning to end, such bliss.

I will keep you updated on my progress and I have a feeling I may just get a Hap shawl knit between now and Christmas anyway, old habits die hard and you can never have enough shawls!

Until the next time, 

Happy knitting

x


8 comments:

  1. Ooooh, pretty! It *is* getting to be that time of year, isn't it? Good think I have a kilo of Frangipani in Cornish Fudge coming my direction. It shall become a gansey. And I can think about fudge AND knitting the entire time I am working on it. What could go wrong with that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yummy, yummy, yummy Carolyn! I have always wanted to knit a proper gansey, and the Frangipani wool looks divine! You lucky thing, I can't wait to see your finished piece. Are you following a pattern or making your own?

      Delete
  2. I knit my Cockatoo Brae right at the end of winter, so I haven't really been able to wear it :( I can't wait for cold weather!
    I love your colors, by the way. It's so fun to see all the different combinations everyone comes up with (I knit mine in similar colors to Kate's).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did notice yours! It's beautiful, I love the matching Tam, I think if I have leftovers, a Tam is definitely on the horizon :)

      Delete
  3. What a pretty colour! I want to make a half hap for an Advent swap but can't figure out how much yarn (yardage). What do you suggest?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Depends on what you want your finished size to be and your number of colours. I used 884 yards for a laceweight half hap measuring 52" x 42" and 3.75mm needles. Haps are great for using up odds and ends of stash, so you can nearly wing it as long as you are confident you have enough of the main colour dor the centre/edging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Size sounds good, but what about in a fingering? I don't have much lace weight.

      Delete
    2. I made a 60" square hap with fingering weight that took 1,800 yards, so you would need roughly half of that or less. Hope that helps!

      Delete