Foggy Sunset

Foggy Sunset
Photo by Aisling Doonan

Tuesday, 28 July 2015

RDS National Craft and Student Awards Ceremony 2015

Sealtainn Shawl

It was just a normal day. I was invited to the RDS National Craft and Student Awards Ceremony yesterday as my Sealtainn Shawl was being exhibited there. I had entered the competition, as I do most years, and I was delighted to make it as far as the exhibition. There is something so satisfying in seeing your work curated as part of a professional exhibition, it lends it a serious whack of credibility. 

Carriage Parasol by Kathie Earle

Italian Wedding by Mary Shields

I Go by Aleksandra Bartus-Winiarska

Fionnuala by Patricia Cox

So we woke up on time, dressed, had a satisfying breakfast of sausage sandwiches and strong coffee (spot the country people making a trip to the big city!) and we piled into the car, ready for whatever the day had to throw at us. Well, except me that is, not a scrap of make up graced my face, I was wearing yesterdays top that I had attacked with a baby wipe to try and remove toothpaste stains, but I had at least washed my hair. This is how convinced I was that I had not won any prize.

A Botanical Reflection by Aisling Smyth (Group of 3)

A Botanical Reflection by Aisling Smyth (Group of 3)

A Botanical Reflection by Aisling Smyth (Group of 3)

Water Wag by Cathy Mac Aleavey

I was calm, had a glass of wine, mooched about amongst all the beautiful crafts and art and took some quick photos. When the ceremony started, I stood near the back, wine glass in hand, only able to see half the stage as the winners were called up. 

Tree by Shane Donaldson

Bones of Contention by Camilla Hanney

Organised Chaos by Frances Hetherington

Ebb and Flow by Joe Hogan

When it came to the Established Maker, Constructed Textiles category, I looked around at the full room of people looking for the winner as they made their way to the stage. I only realised that my name was called out by my husbands reaction, he was barely able to contain his mirth, as he snickered and snorted at the look on my face. I am ashamed to say, the first words I said aren't printable on a public forum, but he said I turned ghostly pale as I handed over my wine and handbag so that I could make my way to the stage to collect my prize.

So there you have it! I did it, I won my category prize. Something that has been on my bucket list for a long time now. I am thrilled and already planning what I am going to do next year!

The exhibition is open free to the public this week, if you want to pop along to see it and then it will also be open during the RDS Horse Show, August 5th to 9th (entry fee applies).  Please pop along if you can, it showcases all the talent and beauty that this country has to offer and is well worth it. I have added some photos of my favourites just to give you a taster.

Happy knitting

xxx

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your win. Your shawl is absolutely stunning. You are a very talented artist! Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! That's wonderful news!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well deserved!! it looks SO good with the beads as accent to your excellent knitting and designing skills. Congratulations.
    I am sure there is more to come!!!

    ReplyDelete