Foggy Sunset

Foggy Sunset
Photo by Aisling Doonan

Friday, 24 July 2015

Cross Botanica Fountain Pen



This pen totally stole my heart. I had absolutely no intention of buying it. I swear.



I was minding my own business, happily pottering around Internet-land and had seen a brief mention of it on a forum somewhere, so what's a pen obsessed girl to do? I idly let my finger stroll over the keyboard to type in Cross Pens and before I knew it I was swooning audibly at the computer screen.



It's the Cross Botanica Green Daylily fountain pen, with a medium nib.



The photos online, do not do this pen justice. It looks fantastic on the website, but when I opened the box to take it out today for the first time, I stopped breathing.



For a second.



It took my breath away.



It is described by Cross as a captivating pen with lush floral designs on a pearlescent ivory lacquer. Doesn't that sound divine? Sounds exotic and expensive. I spent a several minutes just turning the pen over in my hand and staring at the design. It's stunning. It feels silky smooth, it's lightweight and the fluted barrel has a semi transparent navy blue hue to it. The gold accents are 23K gold plate and the nib is a steel medium one.



The lacquer is flawless, the colours are vibrant and the gold highlights are well balanced. There are no rough edges or bumpy bits and doesn't look or feel like the colours would chip or rub away easily. The colours are subtle and well matched, it reminds me of luxurious silk hand painted Victorian wallpaper in a ladies drawing room. Oh, loosen my corset before I faint!



I ordered straight from the Cross website (Ireland) and the process was simple and straightforward. Shipping is free. I ordered the pen late on the 20th July and it was delivered by courier on the 22nd July. A truly superb service. The pen was delivered safely in a Cross presentation box with lifetime warranty details and two black Cross cartridges.



The pen cap pushes closed with a satisfying click and posts snugly without getting stuck. I can write easily with it posted or not and it seems well balanced. I have a screw in Cross converter to use with bottled ink, but I'm using the black Cross ink cartridges that came with the pen in the box. I've always loved Cross black ink, it's a good steady definite black colour, no shading, just opaque black, without a shiver of any other colours peeking through.



The pen is the same size and shape as my Century 2 fountain pen (middle in photo) which I also love, and is the perfect weight for me to write with without getting fatigued. I also have a Cross Townsend (left in photo) which is beautiful and I treasure it as it was a Christmas gift from my husband when we first started going out, but it is too heavy to write with for long periods of time.



The nib is smooth and wet straight from the box and I can tell from the very first time I held this pen, that I am going to enjoy using it in steady rotation. It writes wide for a medium, same as my Townsend, but I'm really loving the broader line right now. 


Please share your pen stories with me, I'd love to hear them!

Happy writing
Width:
0.43 inches / 10.9 mm
Length:
6.11 inches / 155 mm
Weight:
23g uncapped


3 comments:

  1. Hi, I have a question about your pen, I am planning to get the exactly same model, but I've been wondering if the golden parts peels off with time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the gold parts don't flake or rub off. It really is a nice pen and it writes very nicely. So far the pattern is still as perfect as the day I took it out of the box.

      Delete