Foggy Sunset

Foggy Sunset
Photo by Aisling Doonan

Tuesday, 16 June 2015

Sealtainn Shawl Part 5 Finale!

I have never been so happy to finish a project. Not that I didn't enjoy every single moment of this one, but I had a very tight deadline that apparently my brain laughed at constantly and told my head that it would be OK to take a night off from knitting every now and then, My brain knew that towards the end, as the 10th of June sneakily approached at warp speed, I would end up knitting until 2am to get the edging finished!


Towards the deadline, I set myself daily quota of edging points to knit and stuck to it rigidly. It was the only way I knew I was going to make it, hence the 2am finishes. At one point my arms were burning internally and I feared for a knit-threatening injury.


Every point took between 20 and 30 minutes to knit, including adding the beads, so I was endeavouring to complete 12 to 15 a day. No small feat.


Thankfully I made it with hours to spare, spent an evening blocking it and a morning photographing it and then my pretty shawl was ready to enter into the RDS National Crafts Competition.


The shawl weighs 80g minus the beading, used 2,438 yards of 2/56NM Colourmart cashmere, silk and merino yarn and 1,680 glass size 8 amber beads. I used 2mm Chiaogoo Red Lace Circular needles and they were smooth and fast to use.


The shawl will now be making it's way to Dublin this week to be judged, so all fingers and toes are crossed for success.


I spent a lot of time just staring at it!


Letting the fabric fall through my fingers, listening to the soft clink of the glass beads as they weigh down the edge ever so slightly.


It is so light and fine, it could pass through a wedding ring.


It would be fabulous over a formal evening gown. Especially with the light sparkling as it hits the beading.

I would love at some point to publish the design, if anyone would like to test knit, please let me know!

Until next time

Happy knitting

xxx

3 comments:

  1. It's SO BEAUTIFUL!
    Despite the fact that I rarely knit lace, and have never knit with cobweb weight, I'm sorely tempted to buy some and test knit this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thank you so much for your kind words. I would definitely try a small project first with the fine yarn and needles, then if you really enjoy it, get back to me and we can organise a test knit :)

      Delete
  2. I'd love to test knit such a delicate pattern. Please contact me on Ravelry. Sorry for my poor English. Alex

    ReplyDelete