Foggy Sunset

Foggy Sunset
Photo by Aisling Doonan

Saturday, 18 April 2015

Sealtainn Shawl part four

April is always an unsure month weather wise, cold or warm, rain or hail, sun or overcast, but then again that could be any month here on this confused Isle! The Easter holidays have come and gone, we had no light, torrential rain and wind for the first week the kids were off school and they were chaffing and growling with frustration and claustraphobia by the weekend. I awoke to squabbling and grouchy faces every morning, I was beginning to wish that school would reopen and take them back. No amount of Easter eggs could turn the mini monsters into angelic darlings. 


Then, thankfully, the weather improved and we had a second week of glorious sunshine, cool breezes and clear blue skies. I dusted off my sunglasses and wore them instead of my prescription glasses for the week, everything was so loud, sharp and intense.

To make up for the dreadful week of internment before, we took to walking to the playground around a kilometre away where the kids could play while I began my couch to 5k running programme. If you would like to start running but think you aren't fit enough or capable, try this app, I can't believe that it works, especially since running has *never* and I mean never, been something I was able to do, even when I was younger and fitter. I have finished week two and have 6 more to go before I'll be able to run for 5km but I'm taking each day as a separate victory and it's really making me want to keep going. This will be such a huge achievement for me when I complete it, a celebration will be warranted!


With all this outdoor activity, my poor knitting has suffered slightly. I'm still moving steadily through the pattern and I have now completed the second border section. Only 48 rows to go before I can attach the edging, so in three weeks or so I'll be staring the finish line in the face. I can't wait. The cable needle is too short to stretch the pattern out completely but I hope the photo's give you a vague idea of what it looks like. I was worried I would run out of yarn, but I have lots left, not even halfway through the cone yet. I am excited to begin the beaded part and see how that adds to the shawl as a whole.


The pattern itself isn't too demanding, but the motifs all fit together so well so far. Watching it emerge slowly but surely is watching it come alive.

Plenty of more knitting to do, I will update again when I begin the edging. Until then

Happy knitting 

Xxx


4 comments:

  1. I just love your shawl! I really want to make a shawl to put away for whenever I get married, and I want it to be one similar to yours (Sharon Miller's lace patterns inspire me so much, despite the fact that lace knitting really frustrates me).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It's such a wonderful idea to knit a trousseau, I wish I had done that. I was at the very beginning of my lace journey at that stage and hadn't discovered Shetland Lace yet.

      You can take your time and play around with patterns and yarns until you are ready to make your masterpiece. The beauty of lace is, that even simple patterns in heavier yarn still look magnificent and awe worthy.

      You will find what you enjoy most by not trying to be perfect and playing around without any pressure, then you'll have a wonderful wedding shawl to wear and treasure. I'm excited for you!

      Delete
  2. It's gorgeous. We're heading back into brrrrr here -- snow later this week, perhaps -- so it's a good time for knitting. Last week, the knitting suffered while the garden got attention. And congrats of the C25K progress!!!! !!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn! The running is definitely a challenge but I see small improvements. Glorious day of heat and sun today, so knitting suffering again, hope you get lots done :)

      Delete