Foggy Sunset

Foggy Sunset
Photo by Aisling Doonan

Tuesday, 3 March 2015

Sealtainn Shawl part one


I have had the pattern written up for this particular shawl nearly 18 months now, I knit my Swatch, I made a sample, I even bought my yarn, only for it to sit forgotten at the bottom of my stash.

I just had no urge to begin, the pattern excited me well enough, just not enough to drag the teeny 2mm needles out of hibernation. I had promised myself that I would enter the RDS National Crafts Competition this without fail and it seems like a good project to put forward. It has tiny gauge, beads, is knit from a continuous thread from start to finish and will take a lot of daylight and patience to knit correctly. Tinking back more than a few dozen stitches can take hours!


The shawl will be square, with the centre panel being knit first from a provisional cast on (to make the edge nice and elastic for when I pick up my stitches to knit the borders) and then the borders are knit in the round, all four together, outwards with the edging knit on sideways to finish. I will add beads to the edging only. 


I am thrilled to finally begin, I am making good progress but I worry that I will be finished on time. I need to start on the borders within the next week. At the moment I'm over halfway through the centre and it's looking beautiful. 

The needles I'm using are Chiaogoo Red Lace in 2mm and the yarn is Colourmart cashmere/silk/merino in 2/56nm. It's little more than fancy thread but delightful to knit with.


So I'd better stop typing and start knitting! I'll update you on every stage, so picking up the borders will be next.

Happy knitting

x

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Great to hear from you :)

      Delete
  2. This is going to be a beautiful heirloom shawl to cherish for years to come. How I admire you skill and patience at knitting this intricate pattern. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete