Foggy Sunset

Foggy Sunset
Photo by Aisling Doonan

Friday, 13 March 2015

Sealtainn Shawl part two

Twenty days! Twenty days to knit and complete the centre square of this wonderful shawl. I think that's pretty good going, especially with such fine yarn and such tiny diameter needles. There are nine repeats of the pattern and it was simple to knit, though it looks delightfully lacy and intricate. I don't think there are any glaring mistakes and I didn't use a lifeline, so I'm pleased it all worked out so beautifully. I am itching to get to the end and block this shawl, just to marvel at it's fineness and appreciate it properly.

Below is a photo of me picking up the stitches for the border. The green cotton yarn is the crocheted cast on, and you can see how easy it is to unzip the cotton and pick up the stitches from the cast on edge with very little trouble. I adore this method, it's so simple and effective and leaves you with a lovely stretchy edge with no visible line.


I have 14 rows of the borders knit already, I am knitting them in the round, so I am purling every other row. I don't find this troublesome at all, if anything it has made me a better knitter, makes me feel a little 'ambidextrous' as if I could knit both ways!


I have pinned it out as is, just so you can see my progress. The shawl is so tiny still, all fluffed up into a ethereal ball, even though there are over 700 stitches per row at this stage. That number is only going to GROW!


I'm very pleased with progress and with how it all looks, the pattern so far, is working well and I can't wait to get to the next stage! Finishing the borders! I will have plenty of photo's when that happens.

Until then, 

Happy knitting



5 comments:

  1. Beautiful! This is your own pattern, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Yes, it is my own pattern, I'm really excited to see how it turns out :)

      Delete
  2. This is so amazing what you are knitting. And, you have so much patience. Are you knitting from a graph or written instructions? I love to knit but I'm afraid this yarn is too intricate for me. I'm so excited to see how it will lock when you are completed. It looks so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Yes, I'm working from graphs, it's the only way when the pattern gets so big, it's easy to see motif placement and mistakes are easier to pick up on. I used to be scared of yarn this fine and such tiny needles too, but I started and completed a smaller project and that gives you practice and confidence! The yarn is beautiful to work with, merino, silk and cashmere, so it is smooth and soft with the slightest halo. I would definitely recommend trying a small project first, then it gets addictive :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see the result!
    I'm sure those long rows will make it extra special. Looking mighty fine so far! <3

    ReplyDelete