Foggy Sunset

Foggy Sunset
Photo by Aisling Doonan

Thursday, 1 August 2013

RDS National Craft Competition 2013 Winners announced!

Today was the RDS National Crafts Competition prize giving and I was invited as my veil Leggerissima was entered in the Knitting & Crochet category.

The exhibition as always is a spectacular treasure trove of art and craft.  Every wall is covered and the floor is a maze of plinths holding impossibly beautiful devices, from jewellery to garments to paintings and video's.


The hall was packed as the names of the winners were called out and I'm delighted to announce that I won 2nd prize!



I'm so excited, I have never won anything like this before.  I have entered 3 times into the competition not knowing what to expect and it is so wonderful to have my hard work recognized.


The cherry on top was the fact that I also won a second prize.  The Country Markets Ltd Medal which included a certificate and a beautiful silver brooch that I immediately thought would be perfect as a shawl pin!

Beautiful silver brooch made by Aidan Breen Gold & Silversmith
There is also a lovely photo in the exhibition catalogue with my details and a little description.

  

There were some fantastic entries, I managed to snap a few before we left, ranging from delightful to unusual!


Suzie Sullivan's River Bank Friends in Felting were gorgeous, I wanted to pick them up and play with them (possibly not what the artist had envisaged!)


Fiona Higgins Ebb Flow & An Trá in Printed Textiles was beautifully displayed and extremely eye catching.  Both artists won first prize in their categories, but strangely enough, I had taken the photo's before the names were announced!


Another exquisite piece was Gráinne Conlon's Christening Gown in Carrickmacross Lace.  I couldn't stop staring at it. 



This beautiful dress won the Guild of Irish Lacemakers Award.

The student art awards were fantastically turned out too.  I didn't manage to get any photo's (the heat inside was unbearable and I thought I was going to pass out at one point) but if you can manage to get to the exhibition, you won't be disappointed.

The exhibition includes all the prize winners and a number of highly recommended pieces.  It will be open tomorrow in the RDS Concert Hall from 10am - 5pm (free to the public) and next week through the Discover Ireland RDS Horse Show.

The exhibition is also travelling to the Mid-Antrim Museum, The Braid, Ballymena, Co. Antrim (September 6th to October 26th) and the Strule Art Centre, Omagh, Co. Tyrone (November 2nd to 30th).

Hope some of you can visit and be wowed by all the artistic wonder that Ireland can offer :D

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations! You deserve it with your beautiful knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Your design is amazing, and totally deserves the prize..............the brooch looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations.Beautiful work, and thank you for sharing pictures of some other entries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all :) I wish I could take photo's of every entry but time & the heat was against me! Next year I will be better prepared!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations!! and thank you for posting other photos as well!

    I hope you will offer your lovely pattern for sale at some point?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete