Foggy Sunset

Foggy Sunset
Photo by Aisling Doonan

Sunday, 2 June 2013

Shetland Garden Faroese Shawl

 Yet again, I have had this wonderful pattern in my folder for *years*, I've always loved the look and design, but I never had enough of the right yarn to make it.  Then something lovely happened and I did a favour for a friend (you know who you are lovely lady :), which ended with me red faced yet chuffed accepting a gift voucher for This is Knit, a knitting emporium of loveliness in Dublin.

In the process of using this lovely voucher I also managed to find myself the winner of a gorgeous skein of Scrumptious Lace weight in Purple and a Chiaogoo Red Lace 2mm circular needle (my favourite colour and also my most favourite lace needles!).  Talk about being spoiled rotten!  

I'm still so thrilled to have won something, it was such a feel good day :)

Anyway I digress, to become the winner of this lovely competition I had to be the 1,000th online customer, which I was, as I bought 10 balls of Jamieson & Smith Lace weight 2ply Shetland wool in a gorgeous light blue colour.  (They were also on sale by the way, so that in itself was a bonus!)


So I decided to procrastinate no more and settle in to make this beautiful shawl.  It's Sivia Harding's Shetland Garden Faroese Shawl and I used 943 yards of yarn and a 3.75mm needle.  


For it's size it is a quick knit and I finished it in 9 days.  To be fair the pattern is so lovely and clear that it almost knit itself.  The charts are very easy to follow and split into 5 sections so that doesn't feel like such a momentous task.  I adore Shetland patterns and motifs and these all go so well together, it is such an adorable shawl.


The edging is meant to be rounded to a curve, but I can never do this without making the edge look pulled and unnatural, so I opted for a slightly pointed edge instead.  Shetland wool is so forgiving with this!


This is my first ever proper Faroese Shawl and the shape is such a revelation.  The shoulder shaping really does make it sit happily on your shoulders without the use of pins or brooches.  It looks so neat on and it's light as a feather even at 66" x 33" approx.  It weighs 127g.


Happy now to have something to drape luxuriously around me while I wait for Spring to arrive (I know it's June, but we're still waiting for Winter to end here :)


My next project is Veera Valimaki's Colour Affection Shawl in lace weight yarn.  I've only just started so I'll let you know how I get on.  Once it's finished I'll be making something large and complicated, you know, just for fun!!!

Happy knitting

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment