Foggy Sunset

Foggy Sunset
Photo by Aisling Doonan

Monday, 15 April 2013

Perfection in a Pi Shawl

Pi shawls and Hap lace shawls are definitely go-to comfort knitting for me, so when I ordered a skein set from ColourMart (with a completely different pattern in mind!) I ended up blending the 2 wonderful items into 1!


ColourMart have begun to sell skein sets (5 different coordinating colours in a particular weight - lots of lace, fingering and dk, with a decent yardage to each, usually about 50g of each colour) and this particular colour combo caught my eye, the blues, greens and orange really popped and I loved the sound of cotton/linen/silk blended together in a gorgeous natural hard wearing but luxurious mix.  So I bought it immediately, thinking I could knit the now practically viral Colour Affection by Veera Välimäki, but alas I didn't have enough yardage wise.


Scratching my head a little, I decided that I would use all 5 colours together and I would also try to use up the bulk of the yarn.  The best way I could think of achieving this was to knit a pi shawl from the centre out and change colours as I ran out.  


Then I thought I'd introduce some patterning and the simplest one I could think of, especially considering the colour changes was the trusty feather and fan pattern.


I used most of my yarn, I had most of the darkest green left as I chose a plain edging rather than a lace one, and the shawl is a generous 44" across.  I used a 4mm needle, which left a nice fabric, not too dense not too loose, and it used 986 yards.


I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.  I'm planning to give it to a friend as a baby present, I think it would make a smashing floor blanket and the bonus is that it can be washed in the machine!

Happy knitting

xxx

4 comments:

  1. It's lovely! I've been doing a lot of comfort knitting myself lately....although right now for me that's basic socks. Circular and hap shawls are a great favorite of mine (and feather and fan is a family tradition)...so you've given me a bit of inspiration and something to think about today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feather and fan is so soothing, as is knitting in the round, you're so lucky to have it as a family tradition, makes obligation knitting a breeze!

      Delete
  2. I've been trying to find this feather and fan pattern in the round like this for a shawl for my mother in law. How did you do it? Are there increases? Can you help me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Apologies for not getting back to you sooner, I have been away from the blog for a while. To answer your question, the feather and fan pattern can be found here -
      http://www.lionbrand.com/faq/529.html
      I used Elizabeth Zimmermann's Pi Shawl formula for the shawl, so I increased the pattern in bands as instructed for that (basically it's doubling the stitch count after a certain number of rows, so keeping the pattern correct is fairly easy. You can find EZ's Pi Shawl here -
      http://www.amazon.com/Elizabeth-Zimmermanns-Knitters-Almanac-Knitting/dp/0486241785
      Hope this helps! If you need anything else, please get back to me :)

      Delete