Foggy Sunset

Foggy Sunset
Photo by Aisling Doonan

Monday, 29 April 2013

Baby Boom Madness

So far this year 4 close friends are expecting new additions, so I decided in a moment of pure madness to knit all the baby clothes needed at once and to only use stash!!!


My stash, though not huge and mostly consisting of leftovers from previous projects, was beginning to annoy me.  I had aran and dk remnants that I had no idea what to do with, but now I had the perfect excuse to dig deep and get creative.


Of course my trusty Elizabeth Zimmermann books were a wonderful starting point as once you have yarn and needles you are bound to find something that fits the bill.


So I started with my Tivoli Tweed Aran that was leftover from my son's jumper.  I had 365 yards and decided to knit a Baby Surprise Jacket.  I ran out of yarn precisely at the point where I was about to start an i-cord bind off edging , so I changed to some red superwash aran leftover from my red aran jumper and continued.  I think it looks quite smart, especially with the red picking up the tweed flecks and the blue shell buttons doing the same for the blue flecks.  


Next I trawled through the DK cotton I had from a Christmas Stocking I had made for a relative.  It was in mixed colours, reds, pinks, purples, greens and blues.  So I divided the colours roughly into two batches, one in blues/greens and the other reds/pinks.  Then I randomly picked a colour and knit till I ran out.  Hilariously I had enough for both with no leftovers!


Of course I also had booties to make to match and with wonderful foresight I knit these first so that I was guaranteed to have enough yarn.


Yellow booties for the green/blue jacket.


Green tweed booties for the aran jacket and a very special pair of booties for the red/pink jacket.


I think the mix and match jacket/bootie combos kind of works, they are bright and cheerful and look rather cosy.


The little red booties are a pattern that I found my chance, starrys more marys booties on etsy, and I happened to have a skein of Berroco Mica in my stash, which is red and sparkly and perfect for a pair of Ruby Slippers!


I even managed to acquire some blue gingham buttons as a nod to Dorothea Gale's pinafore.


Last but not least I looked to Elizabeth again and knit her February Sweater (which is knit on 2 needles) and a pair of booties to match.


It was a very simple and quick knit but looks quite complicated.


Green Tweed Booties.


Yellow Cotton Booties.



Baby Booties Stack.  All the booties are variations of my own design No Sew Bootie-ful Booties.  I will be adding the notes to the pattern for the Aran and DK versions as soon as I can.



.

My Ruby Slippers!  I have told my friends that whoever is lucky enough to have the first baby girl will get the slippers (no pressure then!)  If it's an all boy extravaganza, I may just keep them for myself!


The buttons were also bought on Etsy here.

Happy knitting

xxx


2 comments:

  1. I just happened to stumble across your blog and you made my More Mary's! They are so cute, well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Imagine that! It was such a pretty pattern, I couldn't resist and I had the perfect yarn ready...Their new owner loves them :)

      Delete