Foggy Sunset

Foggy Sunset
Photo by Aisling Doonan

Wednesday, 6 February 2013

Intermission - Gilda Scarf

Can you believe it, I ran out of yarn for my Westerwick cardigan!  All my own fault of course, I ordered one instead of 2 balls of one of the pinks and I had to re-order last week.  I'm really hoping it comes in today's post as I am suffering from a bad bout of start-itus and I can't settle on a new project, nothing feels RIGHT :(


So I've had a week Westerwick free and I had to fill it with some sort of interesting knitty diversion.  I decided on a scarf rather than a new shawl so that I would be able to finish the project and not have something languishing on the needles.


So I chose a beautiful Shetland lace scarf by Zena Thomson from A Legacy of Shetland Lace that was published late last year.  It is a fantastic book with 21 patterns, mostly scarves, some shawls and 2 gorgeous lacy cardigan tops.


The pattern I chose was the Gilda Scarf which is on the cover of the book.  To me it is quintessentially Shetland Lace and I fell in love with it immediately. 


The shawl is knit in Shetland Cobweb, but as I had Jamieson and Smith Shetland Supreme 1ply to hand I used it, though it is a little finer than the cobweb used in the book.  I did use the 3mm needles asked for as I wanted an airy lace scarf.


So after 8 days of knitting I was able to graft my two halves together (not badly but not great either!) and block this little gem.


The scarf is 16" x 48" and is as light as a feather (28g).


I even managed to get some rare blue skies to photograph it against!


Which is even stranger considering yesterday morning looked like this!!!

Happy knitting

xxx

4 comments:

  1. It is beautiful. I may have to get that book for myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) It's a beautiful book, lot's of varied patterns, mostly scarves but they could be amended to be stoles, and 2 cardigans and 2 shawls. I'm going to make a few more scarves I think :)

      Delete