Foggy Sunset

Foggy Sunset
Photo by Aisling Doonan

Friday, 11 January 2013

Yarn Confessions

The other evening we started a little bit of light hearted banter on twitter about our yarn stashes.  As knitters all know your stash can be a help or a hindrance.  It's the yarn you have accumulated over possibly many years as you lovingly bought up threads and yarns that appealed to you.  Yarns that were bought on a holiday that will always remind you of that wonderful break you had.  Yarns that were bought for garments for little people who are now not so little anymore.  Yarns that were on sale, odds and ends, strange colours that looked like a good idea of the time.  The yarn heap may be as big as your work in progress heap!

Anyway, people started putting up photo's (sheepishly at first) worrying that they wouldn't fit everything into the camera frame!

So I thought I would follow suit and at the same time have a good solid look at what I have and work out what I will do with it.

So here it is :)


My stash lives in three large bags at the end of the sofa.  Not the most elegant solution but I am looking into some alternatives at the moment.


I have it all bagged and segregated according to yarn weight and leftovers or full skeins.  The photo above contains all my laceweight yarns, sock/4ply, DK oddments and aran.  It is all left from other projects so the yardage is unknown...


The above photo shows my full skeins (all nicely wound with my new wool winder - a fantastic find on ebay, it's a Toyota one and inside the box is dated 1988!).  So there are 5 cones of Colourmart laceweight (2/28 or 2/30NM) and 1 colourmart 4ply slub cotton (1/6NM), 2 cakes of laceweight alpaca, 2 cakes of cotton DK and 1 of red DK and my Heirloom Knitting Cashsilk for my Wedding Ring and Queen Ring shawls.  At the very back is over 3,000 yards of laceweight cotton that I haven't had the courage to wind yet :)


Above is my cobweb weight yarns and my 2ply jumper weight yarn from Jamieson & Smith, again all odds and ends from previous projects.  

So when you spread it all out there is a fair amount of yarn.  Someone on twitter dared me to calculate the yardage of my laceweight and I'm a little afraid!!!

Ok here goes, I added up all my laceweight, cobweb & gossamer yarns, stashed and currently in use (but not completed projects) and it came to...

Wait for it...

Cripes, I don't know if this is a good or a bad thing...

51,2974 yards or 46,906 (rounded up) metres

Which is almost 47 kilometres of yarn...

That would stretch from Carrigallen, Co. Leitrim to Carnaross, Co. Meath!

I feel weak...

Can you make me feel better and tell me your kilometres?  Can anyone best *whispers* 46.9 km's of yarn?

Happy counting :)

6 comments:

  1. Baby, feel strong! It means you can knit the world away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for daring you, oops :/
    But that's a gorgeous stash and not too huge either. All the laceweight will make even more of the beautiful shawls that I'm in awe of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now you have me thinking Aisling. I'm only getting back into knitting after years on the sidelines. I've been buying like there's no tomorrow though. I still don't think I'm going to beat your stash though. I've been trying to knit in our terrible summer heat. Boredom is a word missing from my dictionary!! Cheers and Happy New Year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I realy hope you don't mind me commenting but it's the first time I've seen your blog and I would really love to buy your sirdar luxury soft DK off you,if the colour is kiwi. I've been trying to track down some more to finish my first crochet blanket but it seems to be discontinued. I could pay £8 by paypal to include P+P within UK for the 3 full and 3 part balls of yarn. If you would be happy with that I would be over the moon. You can email me on polkadotaddict @ gmail.com. Thanks so much and I hope you don't mind me asking this, especially if you want to keep the yarn.It's just I found your blog on an image search whilst googling the yarn to try and buy some more. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi & welcome:D The yarn is actually 4ply not DK, I am happy to sell, but it's not quite what you're looking for, sorry :(

      Delete