Foggy Sunset

Foggy Sunset
Photo by Aisling Doonan

Monday, 28 January 2013

Westerwick Prettiness

2013 will be my year of Fair Isle!

I have made lots and lots of small accessories and even a stranded blanket, but this year I really wanted to sink my teeth into something meatier :)

I wanted to make a full sized adult garment.

A cardigan, all for me, to keep me cosy and warm and look fabulous.


Picking the pattern was easy, I have Ann Feitelson's The Art of Fair Isle Knitting and I had fallen hook line and sinker for the Westerwick Cardigan.  It's very girly, all pinks and turquoises blended in such a way that it looks quite soft and light in one way and vibrant and shimmering in another.  It's very difficult to get a decent photo of the true colours all hanging out together and making their magic, but I'll do my best :)


So I ordered my Jamieson and Smith 2ply jumper weight (2 colours are no longer in production - #48 Light bright turquoise & #70 Bright medium pink, so I subbed Jamieson's #760 caspian and J&S #1283 respectively).  Looking back. my medium and dark turquoises are very similar and if I were to choose again I would probably pick Jamieson's #929 Aqua instead.

There is also another slight problem, as the pattern was written when the wool was sold by the ounce (28g) and not by 25g as it is now, so it's a little tricky to get the exact amounts needed.  I'll know better once I get to the sleeves I think.


I'm really flying along, even though it is knit in the round so the entire body is knit as one.



I'm almost up to the armholes, yippee :D 


I've begun to knit fair isle two handed as well and I have to say that it is so much quicker, my tension is fine and I'll be finished this cardigan much quicker than I first imagined.


I love the way the Shetland wool is all crunchy and full of life and I can't wait to wash and block it, so it will soften slightly and the pattern is going to just POP :D

I'll keep you all posted on it's progress,

happy knitting

xxx



3 comments:

  1. How wonderful! I have been considering a similar focus on Fair Isle this year. Next to lace it's my favorite thing....and I seem to be taking a bit of a break from lace right now. May have to pull out all of my books and picks something.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair isle after lace is like cleansing the palette! Go for it :D

      Delete