Foggy Sunset

Foggy Sunset
Photo by Aisling Doonan

Saturday, 11 August 2012

Staycation 2012


As I have mentioned in a previous post, this year we were finally organised enough to enjoy a proper staycation!  We stayed at home and took lots of day trips.  We live practically in the centre of Ireland so taking a trip isn't really that much hassle, you can reach the coast in any direction within a few hours!


So I took a few snaps of where we visited, the two photos above were taken from a Viking Boat on Lough Ree on a beautifully sunny and warm day.


Lough Ree.


We also spent a very enjoyable day in Belfast visiting the Titanic Exhibition.  Wow, I was so impressed, there was so much to see and so much to do I could go back tomorrow and have a completely different experience.  I have been intrigued with the Titanic since Robert Ballard found her in the mid 80's.  Most of my childhood I was convinced I was reincarnated from a person who'd actually travelled on her and I read everything I possibly could about her.  Incidentally, I share my birthday with the birth of the ship :)


Outside the Titanic building looking skywards.


We also visited the largest centre for birds of prey and owls in Ireland in Sligo (Eagles Flying Centre).  The air show was amazing and being so close (mere millimetres in some instances) to these magnificent birds was breathtaking.


Visitors are also allowed to have some of the birds land on their arms!


Bad picture of a fantastic Eagle Owl.


She's a tad shy :)


Eagle


4 month old barn owl!  Such a beautiful bird with the most amazingly soft plumage, the colours were out of this world.


One of my favourite animals, ferrets!  If I was allowed I'd have one as a pet in the morning, sadly I've been out voted :(

Just a small taster of what we saw over the last fortnight!


No comments:

Post a Comment