Foggy Sunset

Foggy Sunset
Photo by Aisling Doonan

Monday, 23 July 2012

Yarn goodies and rediscovering the written word

I have been thoroughly seduced by Colourmart!  Generally I spend a long time browsing the yarns and trying to find the colour/yarn weight combination that 'speaks' to me, but over the last few weeks I have whittled down my 'basket' to a manageable four cones and pressed the confirm order button, eek!


First up, a very grown up and sophisticated English Blue in Cashmere/Silk lace weight (2/28NM).  There is such a beautiful sheen off this 2ply.


Next came 100% Extra Fine Merino (2/30NM) lace weight, also a 2 ply but a tad thicker than the previous one.  Purples always get snapped up quickly I've found, so I popped this in my virtual basket as soon as I saw it!


I hadn't intended on any more purchases until I saw this gorgeous Teal Merino/Silk/Cashmere (2/28NM) 2 ply lace weight.  The colour is divine, the photo does it no justice at all.


Of course then, as the 100% Extra Fine Merino's (2/28NM) 2 ply lace weight's are such good value at 2,300 yards for only €11.93, I would be a fool to leave without another!!!


I have always been a member of a local library, but lately I had noticed it was getting difficult for me to show enthusiasm for reading a book that I hadn't already read.  I love to re-read my favourites, but it was getting to a stage that I had re-read everything on the bookshelf and I wasn't enjoying it as I should.

So I gave myself a good shake and spent a little time perusing the shelves for something good.  I must have excellent taste as the first tome I laid my hands on was The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson.  Wow, the first chapter drew me in and I could not put it down.  I read everywhere I could, whilst cooking, cleaning, when I was supposed to be knitting, when I should have been paying attention to the children.  The only place I didn't read in was the car!

I really felt like I was a fly on the wall in the story as I travelled from Japan to Italy, Germany to the US, when I finished I cried, then felt bereft.

The authors descriptions of being a burn victim finding his path back to life had me wincing, smiling and exclaiming disbelief out loud at some points.  This book consumed me.


My very first Karin Slaughter experience.  A quick read.  I'm not the type of person who reads the last chapter or tries to figure out 'whodunnit' to aggressively.  My husband likes to do that, but I find it spoils the story on me, so I like to let it all unfold in front of me, like petals unfurling.  This story flowed well from beginning to end, I was interested in the characters and their outcomes and enjoyed it to the last page.


Kathy Reichs and I are comfortable old friends, not in reality of course, but I have followed Tempe Brennan from her very first outing and have only once been disappointed.  Another quick read, but though interesting I was constantly distracted by the authors constant use of her iPhone, I answered my iPhone, I looked at my iPhone, I dropped my iPhone, my iPhone rang etc. repeat to fade.  Tell you what iDon'tCare.

Grrrr.

I don't mind android phones, i don't mind phones in general, but I find my teeth begin to grind when it's prefixed with an I.

Just a personal gripe, I'll get over it...

Happy iKnitting

xxx



2 comments:

  1. Those colours are drool-worthy. I can't wait to see what they grow up to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I've cast on already with the teal and it's gorgeous to work with, soft and with a beautiful sheen. I'll have some photos soon :)

      Delete