I had initially named this project, my Summer Jan Sweater, as I had used cotton instead of wool, but now I see Summer has forsaken us (July + torrential rain = unhappy bunnies). I think someone on twitter idly asked if we had flipped and were now on the Southern Hemisphere hence the Winter like conditions. Maybe, the magnetic field is reversing quicker than we thought?
Anyhoo, I sewed sewed the sleeves into the armholes of my Jan Sweater last night (yes, that's right, they were the only seams I had to deal with as I knit both the body and the sleeves in the round) and with the design of the top being identical back and front and the neck being a slash neckline, sewing was minimal and stress free.
Knitting it seamlessly was uber simple, as the front and back were knit the same, I just cast on double the number of required stitches, joined in the round and used 2 stitch markers in two different colours to show the start of the round and start of the back (halfway point). When it came to the decreases for the armholes, I knit back and forth separately for both back and front. The sleeves were knit the same way, just join in the round and then when the decreases for the shaping at the top began I knit back and forth. It eliminates most of the purling and means that your lace pattern matches both back and front. You do have to keep an eye on your tension switching from in the round to flat knitting though...
I have to say, it was a delightful knit from start to finish. The pattern is wonderfully clear and the design is simple to tweak (I made the body slightly longer - just keep knitting!) and it would have been finished much quicker had I not picked up and finished a few more projects in the mean time.
I have never really been good at knitting garments from a pattern and having them turn out perfectly. I always manage to measure wrongly and end up with sleeves that don't fit in the armhole, or button bands that scrunch up, or bodies that are too short. Or worst of all, when knitting two sleeves, manage to get the increases arse ways and have different girths or lengths, like nonidentical and unhappy twins.
Not so with this little beauty, not only did the back and front behave perfectly but the sleeves nestled into the armholes without even a whisper of doubt. I think even my lace holes matched up!
So I am truly in love with this top, it fits well, looks well, took very little yarn even though I made a larger size (only 1,089 yards of 4 ply!) so it was a reasonably priced one too.
I have no photographic assistants and for once the self timer on my trusty Canon decided to play up on me today and I couldn't get a decent shot of myself in the garden (ok, I shouldn't call it a garden, a garden is meant to be inviting and have flowers and stuff...) So I ended up fiddling around in Flickr trying to sharpen it up a bit (fail), make it look professional (epic fail) and ended up with a blurry retro circa 1980's moi looking a little washed out.
But I kind of like it, for all it's faults!