Foggy Sunset

Foggy Sunset
Photo by Aisling Doonan

Thursday, 28 June 2012

A Stoir - 17 days


What interesting and useful things can be manufactured in 17 days?  Why, a beautiful christening shawl of course!

Out of interest and curiosity I googled '17 days' and came up with a diet (which sounded awful), a Prince Song (brings me back to my early teens), an arty blog and an album so I think I'm now in pretty good company!


A Stóir is a christening shawl or a baby blanket of my own design with little sleepy z's in the centre surrounded with little flowers, then the border has water, little kissing ducks, hearts, building blocks and flowers while the edging finishes the whole shawl off with zig zags and flowers.


I love it, it's a relatively easy knit, not boring at all and doesn't take too long to knit.  


This shawl is knit with Jamieson & Smith's Shetland Supreme 2 ply Lace Weight in Natural White, so it's undyed and manufactured especially for those looking for something authentic.

It's gorgeous to work with, even and light and blooms and brightens nicely when it's washed and blocked.  I find this wool very soft against my skin too, which is an added bonus.  


A Stóir is now flying to the UK to it's new owner, I really hope they are happy with her and she becomes a treasured heirloom.


Enjoy!

Happy knitting

xxx




5 comments:

  1. I love the wee little blocks! Are you going to publish the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Yes the pattern is published in Ravelry here http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/a-stoir-baby-blanket-shawl

      Delete
  2. Oh, I love the name. I love the sound of that word, a stoir. And such a fitting name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I love the name too, it has a lovely warm feeling to it! The blanket flew over the Irish sea and found it's new home today and everyone is delighted, yippee!

      Delete
  3. Hi, I'm enjoying the pattern (going to take me longer than 17 days though....) but just not sure about one instruction Do not cast off borders'. Haven't got there yet ( I'm halfway through the ducks) but - how can I attach the the edging every four rows if I haven't cast off the border?

    ReplyDelete