Foggy Sunset

Foggy Sunset
Photo by Aisling Doonan

Monday, 16 April 2012

Rams agus Caoirigh finished!

I finished!  I did it, I completed my very first large fair isle project and successfully steeked it, whoo hoo, lets throw a party.


I honestly can't believe I did it, there were times when I was knitting the border that I thought it would never end.  I broke two needle tips and had to put the blanket to the side while I bought a long length metal circular needle.


I was a little worried pre-steek, I will admit, I have burned my knitting in the past, but never willingly cut it :/


But I needn't have worried, my crochet steek turned out fine and the seams held perfectly as I picked up my stitches and started the borders.


I was also worried about the rippled edges along the two vertical sides as unblocked my tension wasn't all that even.  Blocking did iron out the kinks though and I was very happy with the finished result.  

The bathroom sink was too small, so I spent ages filling the kitchen sink which is larger and trying to get the temperature right.  There was absolutely no way I was going to be able to squeeze out enough of the water myself, even by rolling it in a towel and standing on it, so I popped my little precious blanket into the washing machine and spun her on 1,000.  Panic not, she came out in one piece, damp and soft and beautifully even, ready for pinning out.


Here's a pic of the back of work, beautiful isn't it?


Yowes behinds up close :)


Manly Rams from the back, ooh-er...


It has been really cold but bright out for the past few days, but at least it has been mostly dry, so I did manage to get some pretty photo's, looks very warm and summery doesn't it?


So she's finally here and ready for snuggling under, thanks Kate Davies for a beautiful design and perfectly straightforward pattern to follow and thank you Shetland Sheep for donating your wool & to Jamieson & Smith for getting it as far as my needles!

8 comments:

  1. You've never stuck? (Isn't 'stuck' the past tense of steek?) You did beautifully, but picked a rather masterpieceful projects to start with. Ahhh ... makes me want to tackle Starmore's Ripple Shawl. Must Finish Queen Susan First.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, that's a bit of a conundrum, I have no idea what the past tense of steek is, stuck could work, so might stook or steeked! Maybe someone can enlighten us to the correct term!

      I haven't seen Alice Starmore's ripple shawl, but know you have whetted my appetite and I want to know more! congrats on all your Queen Susan progress, every stitch really does make a difference :)

      Delete
  2. Wow!
    how fantastic is that, it looks so perfect, congratulations on finishing it. Do you think you will feel confident to do more steeking? I have no idea how to do it, but it makes me quake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks :)

      Steeking is not scary at all and I recommend everyone tries it at least once! I will definitely make a fair isle cardigan at some stage soon so I'll have to steek it as well at the front opening and the sleeves, should be fun!

      Delete
  3. That is an absolutely beautiful piece. It's so different from your lace work, but amazing too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Lace and fair isle are very different, but I find each of them as intriguing as the other! Both are soothing for me to knit and I love the completely different finished products. I think I'm covered for both hot and cold weather with both :)

      Delete
  4. this is beautiful, well done on that even back :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I really like working on things where the inside or back looks as pretty as the front! I also love how the designer hid the cut seams of the steek in the facing of the edging, such a seamless design.

      Delete