Foggy Sunset

Foggy Sunset
Photo by Aisling Doonan

Wednesday, 28 March 2012

Spring, Chiaogoos & Knitting

Just a little update post!

I have been working away diligently on my Márta shawl.  Initially I cast on because I had a sudden urge to knit Shetland lace and I have just printed off the charts, but then as my needle kept breaking on my Rams and Yowes blanket, turns out I needed another project waiting for me in the wings anyway.


This week I finished the second lace chart and began the edging.  It's patterned on every row and it's only an 8 row repeat, which is very handy for picking up and putting down whenever I have a spare five minutes.


The weather was so spectacular this week (for March, for any month in this country!) that I even managed a spot of outdoor knitting :)

I was very excited as I have bought some Chiaogoo Red Lace circular needles on Etsy from Handsome Fibers and swapped over on this project once they arrived.  You can see them in the photo above and in action below.  I can definitely recommend the seller, there was clear communication, the needles were received in a few days in perfect condition and there was no postage fee!  You can't ask for better than that.


These needles deserve a post all to themselves as they are the PERFECT lace needle.  They are made of stainless steel (so no nickel allergy, yey!) polished smooth with sharp tips and a multi stranded steel cable that is coated in nylon.  The cable has no memory, even straight from the packet and never curls back on itself, the transition from tip to cable is flawless, even on the 2mm which would be used for very fine yarns that always snag.  They are light and feel completely different to any other needle that I've held and used.  They feel very smooth to knit with, but not addi 'slidey' smooth, more 'glidey'.  Very hard to explain, but there is a definite difference between the two.  The needles are not coated with anything and it makes for a very different knitting experience and I like it :) 


I have bought new yarn to re-do my Love Darg Shawl too, even though I swore I wasn't going to buy any but Colourmart is such a bad influence and so reasonable, I would be a fool to resist.  €18.54 for 4,600  yards (150g) of Cashmere/Silk/Merino blend is a steal.  It also makes the yarn a gossamer at 2/56NM which is the same as Heirloom Knitting's Cashsilk but a lot more affordable.  I'm excited to begin again, but I have a few more projects to finish before I start.  Gorgeous colour isn't it?  It's called Sienna and it's a beautiful warm but loud orange.


So Spring is here and we are experiencing some unusual weather.  It's sunny.  And warm.  Together.  how unusual!

We've spent the week outdoors, walking home from school, walking to the shops, playing in the garden and generally basking in the warmth and glory of it all.  In the evenings I feel like my lungs are full of fresh warm air and the house smells sunny and hot.


The winds of last week sadly left us with only 1 intact tulip left in the pot :(


But the trees and the perfect blue sky make for some gorgeous colours.  Lush.


After cutting the grass we noticed the animal tracks left from whatever cute little critters live in our field.  We have hares, pine martens and foxes not to mention the others that I haven't seen.


The gorse is flourishing, there isn't an Irish hedge without it!


This is my favourite, I just love the colours.


Bliss...


We've had enough!

That's all for today folks, enjoy whatever good weather is thrown at you, and knit!

happy knitting 

xxx



2 comments:

  1. Lovely, as always and such a nice colour. Enjoyed your photos of Ireland in springtime. The new needle sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The new needles are fantastic, I've used them for the edging of my last shawl project and they are a real pleasure to use, nice and pointy, no kink cable and perfect join between needle and cable. In a word PERFECT! I can't praise them enough :)

    ReplyDelete