Foggy Sunset

Foggy Sunset
Photo by Aisling Doonan

Wednesday, 14 December 2011

Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year


I probably won't be posting anything else this side of 2011 so I thought I'd send out all my Christmas and New Year Wishes now!

As you can see we have been very busy here decorating and getting into the Christmas spirit.  The tree is up and the crib is out (isn't it adorable, my brother bought it for me for Christmas after my son was born after I begged and pleaded for it, it brings out my inner child).


As we were decorating the tree, I realised that it's no longer the showpiece or show home pinnacle that it might once have been back in the days before we had little people running around and getting into mischief!  The tree has morphed from an interior design focal point where everything matches the surrounding decor to a synthetic twig with memories hanging from the branches!


When the tree was bought (alas, yes it's not real) I went to town in Homebase and bought lots of matching baubles and trinkets to hang upon it in reds and golds (very traditional) and vowed no tinsel would touch it.  Now with playschool, preschool and primary school and a generous relatives we now have decorations that each carry a little memory.


Like the beautiful Beleek Santa Clause my Godmother bought me last year (I live quite close to their factory and showrooms so it meant something to me) and the reindeer's from 2007 that was the year before my son was born (so his name isn't on it!)


My brother was kind enough to rectify that the following year and added Jack to the mix!


Then there's the Victorian replica bauble that my dad gave me (he shares a love of old fashioned) that was filled with sweets for me (he also shares my sweet tooth!)


My Mother in Law gave me this gorgeous silver Santa and sleigh this year along with the church below (which is Newbridge Silver)


Then there is the tree topper, I could never find the right star or angel for the top of the tree but thankfully my daughter solved the problem last year and gave me this beautiful pink angel that I will treasure forever (try not to look at the pink hair bobbin that attaches her to the top!)


She also made me a wooden spoon Rudolph a few years ago and now he peeps out at us and makes sure we don't root around at the parcels underneath!


I hate it when certain grown ups can't contain themselves and start to root amongst the presents, shaking them and lifting up the corners of the wrapping paper.  I hate it when people try to ruin their surprise.  For the past few years in order to squash this horrible habit I installed an alarm system to alert me to the culprits - I have little bells positioned all along the bottom of the tree that ring if touched or glanced off!  

Hopefully Christmas will be a peaceful one, and everyone is happy and relaxed and glad to be where they are.  It will be fun watching the kids this year as at 3 & 5 they are at the height of their excitement and Christmas morning will be full of magic and awe.  As for me, hopefully Santa will be bringing me a brand new knitting bag and accessories so I plan to do a review in the new year.

So Merry Christmas to all and have a wonderfully prosperous and happy new year!

Happy knitting xxx

2 comments:

  1. Aisling how lovely to see some of your precious Christmas treasures. I too love the tradition of bringing out old favourites and the memories that go with them.

    My best wishes to you and your lovely family for a joyful, peaceful and merry Christmas with everything you could wish for in the New Year.

    I am so pleased to have found your blog (via Linda - thankyou). I have so enjoyed seeing your fabulous knitting, and just love your humourous comments. Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Anne, you are very kind.

    Very warm wishes to you and yours this December and I hope you have a very happy 2012!

    ReplyDelete