Foggy Sunset

Foggy Sunset
Photo by Aisling Doonan

Monday, 3 October 2011

Finally finished Forget Me Not Tote & a bit of Aunt Kate

Me again, I've been a bit lazy lately and not for the lack of projects on the go either.  Maybe it's to do with the changing of the seasons or most likely due to the fact that I've been glued to YouTube with a ridiculous smile on my face, but that indeed is quite another story.


I finally tore myself away from all means of technology to pick up my Forget Me Not Tote (which in theory was finished since August but the lining was causing me issues) from the window sill where it was about to disintegrate with mold and sun exposure and finish it.  Tah dah!

 Of course, when I started to crochet it, I decided, with the wit of a three year old that I didn't want any old SQUARE bag, oh no, my bag had to be odd shaped and be made of hexagons.  Not once did I think 'now how am I able to make a lining for this puppy' when I was happy with hook in hand.  No that didn't occur to me until I was trying to sew the damn thing up.  Grrr...



So I cut my beautiful purple lining out, made a phone drop pocket, used another lining with interfacing so that I wouldn't have any seams poking through the openwork of the crochet motifs and then realised that the top just did not line up with the shapes at the top of the bag.  What?  It lined up when I carefully cut the stupid thing out, it lined up when I had carefully marked it out using the bag as a template.  What happened?  There was absolutely no way I could fudge this one.


So the bag sat on the windowsill, in Coventry so to speak...


But then I felt guilty, sort of, mainly I grew tired of looking at the sad bag on my windowsill, it cluttered up the place somewhat.


So I picked it up, looked at it, wondered a bit and then put it back down again.  Hmmm...


Finally I picked it up and made a determined effort to sort it out.  I could unpick and try to re-sew?  Nope, wouldn't work.  I could I could re-do a lining (argh, no way, NOT going there again), or I could just chop the top uneven bits and sew a straight edge.  The part of the bag that I need is fully lined and the top bit isn't really noticeable.  Result, bag now lined with minimum fuss and I can now dust the windowsill.


As for my other projects on the go, I have made a little pact to myself to try and make at least a sample of every pattern/motif in Sharon Miller's Love Darg book.  Huge undertaking I know but I think that they are so pretty and usable that it's no hassle at all.


Next off the needles hopefully is one of Aunt Kate's border patterns that Sharon has paired with a pretty little edging and a simple centre.  I have some Blencathra Lace (70% Alpaca, 20% Silk, 10% Cashmere) from Nimu Yarns that I bought on sale in a gorgeous colourway (I've unfortunately forgotten the name of the colourway) that was crying to be made into something beautiful that will do the job perfectly.  If you have the book, the pattern is on page 37.  I am making some amendments to suit my yardage.  I'm making a triangle and using 4 instead of 6 repeats and a smaller needle also.  The centre is easily transferable to a triangle as it's a 12 stitch by 12 row repeat, so it needed no amendments at all.  I have the edging complete so far.


Next up, I might go through my WIP's and try and figure out what has me stalling!

Happy knitting xxx

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful colours, for the bag and the shawl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely bag Aisling, despite the grief!! The shaped motifs look great. I can fully understand the lining dilemma.

    Love the lace knitting. The colour of that yarn is superb. Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks all! My poor bag, it languished a bit didn't it? Ah well, she's all fixed and now waiting for somewhere colourful and interesting to go. I should really spend more time with the linings, but the knitter in me runs out of steam once the physical knitting/crochet is completed!

    I love the Nimu Yarns Blencathra, it's so soft and the colours are exceptional, I'll be making a return visit to the website for Christmas I think!

    ReplyDelete