Foggy Sunset

Foggy Sunset
Photo by Aisling Doonan

Monday, 29 August 2011

100th Project on Ravelry!


 I never thought I'd see this day so quickly!  I recently finished my 100th project on Ravelry and I had wanted to make it a memorable project.


So I started with buying 10 skeins of Jamieson & Smith 2 ply lace weight in a deep forest green (on sale too at £1.88 for 25g, I was delighted!) then I took some time to sit back and enjoy my thrifty purchase.  It also took a few evenings to unwind each little adorable skein in a ball using my brand new Sunflower Swift and Swiss Pear Nostpinne (I had a few free evenings watching my boxset of Rome while the hubby was away for the night working, how I rebel).


I had no project in mind though even though the yarn was calling to me and begging me to cast on immediately (J&S always has this affect on me) leaving all my other projects in the dust.  Obviously I gave in.  I am nothing to the sweet siren song of Jamieson & Smith.


So for the pattern, what to do, what to do.  Hmmmm, let me think?  Shawl, yes obviously.  Square?  Hmmm, don't think I have enough for a decent sized one.  Stole?  Not sure.  Triangle?  Yes, definitely.  I have enough wool for a pretty decent sized one and the lace weight is perfect in a triangle.


I had bought Sharon Millers Love Darg Shawls Book a few months ago and started on a gossamer version (I'm back working on it now, a quarter of the way through the borders) and there is a wealth of ideas, charts and patterns included in it.  I chose the 1909 Love Darg version but made a few changes, namely turning it into a triangle.  The centre pattern needed adjusting to make it modular, but otherwise I used the pattern as is.


I have to say, I love how it turned out, it's beautiful, warm, balanced and pretty.  I have a little left over, so I might have enough for a shawlette.  The wool is gorgeous too, the colour isn't flat, but there are flecks of indigo blue through it making it interesting.


So when I had finished I was on such a Love Darg frenzy I picked up my gossamer one again.  Here's my progress so far.


So it's been a good month, project wise, on a personal note, I potty trained my youngest and my eldest is due to start school this week, so I'm feeling a very proud mama today.


Happy knitting

xxx
 

7 comments:

  1. Oh my. I'm speechless! What an AMAZING shawl! You are so talented! What a perfect project for your 100th item. Oh, and I totally agree re J&S yarns, they are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing as always! I don't know how you can knit so quickly but I love reading your blog to see what you're working on. I've yet to knit with the J&S but it looks great, especially the lace weight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both so much. I wore my beautiful shawl to a luxury knit night with Doogarry last week at a posh Hotel, so I felt like I fit right in!

    Must make more plans to use some more J&S!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Aisling, the shawl is exquisite. You are to be commended for such a volume of knitting with such small children. I also adore your cream lace knitting, going to be one fantastic article indeed. Take care, and I suppose you'll be soon waving goodbye to Summer. Thanks for sharing such beautiful work. I haven't had a moment lately to even log onto Ravelry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much Linda, it means a lot to hear that people enjoy my knitting adventures! I generally knit in the evenings when my darling children are asleep or I might squeeze in a few rows during the day when they are playing, so I'm really lucky. I probably could be doing something else like gardening/cooking/cleaning/studying/exercising but I just love knitting so much, I have no interest in them. Someday maybe, until then I'll follow this addictive & interesting path!

    We're still waiting for summer to arrive here (it's August!!) but maybe we'll be luckier next year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have just found you via Linda's blog:) What beautiful work, I will come back again soon....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so late picking up this. Just beautiful Aisling, congratulations on reaching 100 on Ravelry. I'm amazed how you can adapt patterns, I'm just happy if I can see what the holes are supposed to be doing.

    Best wishes with the current project/s. Anne

    ReplyDelete