Foggy Sunset

Foggy Sunset
Photo by Aisling Doonan

Monday, 18 July 2011

Crafty cross over & a bevy of totes

My wardrobe thinks I'm crazy.


First in April, when I should be wearing a raincoat, I get a very teeny weeny slight tan (well tan lines around my watch to be honest).

In May when I should be getting ready to break open the t-shirt & cardi combo I'm back to woolly jumpers a la December.


In June (and I was shocked at Mother Nature for her severe lapse, has she gone on strike altogether?) when the Leaving & Junior Cert students should be frolicking happily after exams in their shirt sleeves we all had colds & umbrellas.


And now it's July.  My t-shirts are not speaking to me anymore.  They think it's a personal slight that everyday I open the doors to the wardrobe and overlook them for something a little more, well more!


I am fed up with the weather.  The kids are fed up with the weather.  I'm sure the weather is fed up with the weather.  Our lawn doesn't know whether to grow or drown.  My hanging baskets are blustered apart with the wind.  Sigh...


Thank goodness for knitting.  Oh hold on, I haven't been knitting.  Gasp, I've been crocheting!  I don't understand why we crafty people don't cross over more often, it's delightful!


I had a lot of leftovers from my double knit Christmas Stocking so I pondered a bit over what I could make.  I wanted something quick, pretty, colourful and fun to make.  So I perused Ravelry for a bit and had a flash of inspiration with crocheted granny squares - they hit all the spots, quick, fun, colourful etc. and then I realised that so far on Ravelry, I've completely been ignoring crochet.  Why?  I don't understand it.  I've certainly been able to crochet for as long as I've been knitting.  I taught myself for crying out loud.  Which is why I hold the hook all wrong and crochet like I knit, using my middle finger of my right hand to loop the yarn around the hook.  It's quick but long term, it leaves me with a very sore index finger, which probably means it's high time I learned to crochet properly.

So it has opened up a whole new avenue of craftiness, where I can now look up crochet patterns to drool over.  Result!

So I made a very colourful tote for myself using 6 of the juicier colours and one for Mimi with 6 of the pastel colours.  Both are based on Granny squares but are completely different.  Mine is a shoulder bag with two handles and Mimi's is a cross body bag with an attached coin purse and bag charm.  She loves it, she came in with it this morning, all shy smiles and exuding happiness.  It doesn't take much to make a 5 year old happy!


So crocheting, yes, definitely have a go, I have another tote in the works!!!

3 comments:

  1. I love your crocheted things--there are a few really bright crochet projects on Rav that I love. I'm trying to ignore them while I finish my knitting projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amusing post Aisling, your summer in the Northern Hemisphere has been unusual hasn't it. And, here we are having one of the coldest winters for many years. I love your Granny Squares. I can remember doing them all the time over thirty years ago. I am not sure anyone can tell you how to hold your hook/needles, it's something you have to come to terms with yourself. As long as you are churning out something, who cares how you hold the 'tools'. I'm also enjoying some crochet, after years away from it. Good luck for the next project. Lovely to see everything you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both so much! I'm certainly enjoying a change of craft, and the colours do cheer me up so I'll keep going until my fingers can't take it anymore!!!

    ReplyDelete