Foggy Sunset

Foggy Sunset
Photo by Aisling Doonan

Monday, 27 June 2011

Maths don't lie & listen to your knitting gut


Why does my hay fever get worse with every year?  The weather here is so up and down that I'm even having symptoms when there's torrential rain out, Gah!  If I take a tablet, I'm like a sleepwalker and I get dry instead of itchy eyes and sinus pains instead of sneezing.  It's horrible and sneaks up on me from the moment I open my eyes in the morning.


Today is another muggy day, it looks dull and uninteresting out but if you open the door or window the stifling air seeps in and catches your breath.  I hate humidity.


But it did stop raining long enough for me to run outside and take photos of my finished Agnes Pi Shawl.  I finished the edging finally last week and washed and pinned her out immediately.  Unfortunately my pi maths wasn't correct and I managed to pop the cast off and graft where the 2 edges meet when I pulled a little too hard to pin it out.  I persevered and managed to unravel and re-knit when it was dry, so crisis averted!


Still it was a huge lesson to me, when I was knitting the last tier of the shawl (576 stitches) I wondered whether I should double the stitches after 96 rows and knit for a few more inches before adding the edging.  I knew I should, but I was eager to finish, so I knit 10 repeats of my 10 row motif (10 x 10 = 100 rows) and thought I would be fine adding a few plain rows, thinking it would block out any ripples in the knitting.  Hmmm, should have listened to my gut, because I exceeded the 96 rows that should have been in that section, the last few rows had to really stretch to capacity to block out into a circle.  I thought a few rows wouldn't make a difference, but obviously they do!  So take heed knitters and maths sceptics alike, MATHS DON'T LIE (and they do actually come in useful in everyday normal activities!)


So now my precious shawl is finished.  I have told my dad all about her (his mother passed away in February this year and I started this shawl in memory to her) and have offered it to him and his sisters so that they can either gift it to the hospital that my Granny was in or maybe auction it for charity.  I will package it up this week and write a little care card and pass it on.


Happy knitting xxx

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful work! And a lovely sentiment behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really, really beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, Aisling, I think the shawl is magnificent, and if you'd said nothing, I'd have seen nothing. To be honest, I don't see any rippling or bother, it's just too beautiful to be looking for 'mistakes'. Congratulations to you for such a lovely piece, and also for the thought that you'd offer it to the nursing home.

    BTW, know all about the hayfever, suffer it myself. I just take the tablet and keep moving!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A marvelous piece of knitting, can you possibly part with it? Especially when made in memory of you grandmother. It has to be washed and blocked with care if necessary otherwise it will be damaged. I have some painful memories of woollen cardigans from my father that the nursing home did not even mind to put apart so that I could take care of them myself...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your kind words, I don't mind passing on to someone else, I can always make it again.

    I knit the shawl with the intention to give it away so I think that helps with the 'seperation'! I plan to give care instructions with it, though I know that someday it may unintentionally end up as a scrunched doiley, at least it raised money for a good cause, so I'm happy.

    Overall it was a joy to knit, I'm very pleased with how it looks and I can't wait to make my next pi shawl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! that shawl is fantastic. I am still just thinking about trying to knit my first one. Do you use a circular needle? It looks like a very fine ply of wool. I wonder if I could ever do one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Juliettecherry, of course you could make one, you could use fingering/sock yarn to begin with and there are some lovely free patterns out there, or you could knit a plain one a la Elizabeth Zimmerman! I used fine yarn (2/28nm or cobweb yarn) and a largish circular needle (3.5mm). The circular needle is necessary as there are so many stitches to deal with in each round. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete