Foggy Sunset

Foggy Sunset
Photo by Aisling Doonan

Sunday, 8 May 2011

Introducing Dinky & Alex


My bags are finished!  Yippee for felting, I think I'm getting the hang of it now.


My Dinky Felted Clutch was by far the easiest of the two, it knit up in two days with leftover yarn and I knit the flower and leaves and sewed them directly onto the bag before I popped it in the washing machine.  So when it came out after two washes it was complete and ready to dry and use. The Cushendale 4ply felts nicely, gets softer and isn't too fluffy.  As there is no ball band I just presumed the wool was hand wash only, but a quick look at the website tells me that the wool is machine wash at 30 degrees Celsius.  So does that mean it's super wash?  Either way, I boil washed the bag practically and it did felt!


As for the Kerry Woollen Mills Aran Wool, it felted nice and soft, but lost a lot of colour and a lot of fluff, the inside of the pillow case I used was coated in a furry blue layer, which took a few washes to disperse.  The end result was a cute little evening clutch that is big enough to hold the necessities, phone, keys, wallet, lip balm and camera and look good doing it!


As the Alex Felted Tote was my first bag pattern and first large felted item, I'm viewing it as a huge learning experience.  The tote lost height but not width with felting so it's a little shallow and wide for  my taste.  I also rushed the lining, so it's not as perfect as I'd like, though no one else would notice the flaws.  I have also learned that I should really have a better formed plan in my head before I begin.  As I was making it up as I went along, I felted parts before the next ones were finished and then ended up sewing things together to finish. I am now planning another version, hmmm, decisions, decisions...

Happy Knitting xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment