I've been on a felting frenzy this week, it's all about the bag! I love bags, much better than clothes as you can't outgrow them!
So I've been using up some of my stash and not making any swatches as per usual, but I think I did a pretty good job anyway. I made a large tote and a small clutch, both are now in various stages on finish. The clutch (Dinky Felted Clutch - may release the pattern, not sure yet) is felted and drying and needs no further attention, other than to get a decent photo and then use it. The tote (Alex Felted Tote - again may release it) is mostly put together and I need to measure out the lining, add the vilene, and sew together.
I personally prefer the clutch as it's less fussy, and cost me nothing more than the leftover yarn and the use of the washing machine. The tote is a different story. Initially I was going to knit and felt the handles to go with the bag (see how things go awry when you make things up as you go along?) but then thought leather ones might be nice. So I spent an entire morning surfing the web to find a suitable length, colour, thickness of leather and finally found a pair of JUL Simply Sexy handles (ch-ching), then I thought I needed some plastic canvas to strengthen the base, so I needed bag feet then to finish that off (ch-ching). Hhhmmm, what's next, eek I have to line the bag now because I didn't want to be able to see the plastic canvas, enter Amy Butler fabric in Soul Blossom, Blush Peacock Feathers (double ch-ching) and a magnetic closure. Then I went and bought seven buttons for the straps and flower centres in my local sewing shop and some vilene (small ch-ching, but still it all adds up). The moral of this bittersweet little story is that it may be cheaper to actually go out and buy a bag (and if anyone says to me, meaning a compliment, that I should go into business and sell these bags, please do not be offended when I tell you that you couldn't afford them!)
So that's my afternoon sorted, feeding the children and trying to line a non square bag!
I also finished my Hungry Meadows Shawl, to my great delight. I had tried three different patterns with the yarn (LHogan Merino Lace) but frogged each and every one as they just weren't working. I settled on an old reliable (Evelyn A Clark, Knitting Lace Triangles) and finished this week. I also had great fun outside in high winds, trying to (between hilarious laughing fits) take photo's of the shawl tied to the washing line. I have to thank Kieran Foley for the inspiration for that move!
As for new projects I am trying out one of my own now, the Monte Cristo Shawl, with Hedgehog Silk Lace. I've only just begun so I have no decent photo's yet. I'll keep y'all posted!