Foggy Sunset

Foggy Sunset
Photo by Aisling Doonan

Friday, 22 April 2011

Gardening and Juicy Danish Shawl

I really thought we were back to garden knitting again, I thought wrong, there is a gale blowing out there!  My poor little flowers are losing their heads in every direction.  I'm a very poor gardener but I did manage to plant some window boxes and hanging baskets (ok I tell a lie, I helped my husband do it, but my hands did get dirty!  Does that count?)


My mother has green fingers, even my father knows a Rose bush from a Daffodil, I don't know what happened to me.  I have systematically killed every green thing that has entered the house in the past 8 years, including a cactus.  Didn't think it was possible to neglect a cactus to death, well yes it is, I am that soldier.  I truly have no interest except to admire other peoples beautifully manicured lawns and prettily fragrant flowers.  It's a wonder I was allowed to bring the children home from the hospital!


I enjoy garden knitting even in our little patch that looks like a building site, where I have to bring out a dining chair to sit on.  It's nice to see yarn in natural daylight, to breath the fresh air and to get and embarrassing farmers tan around the neckline and arms!  The kids play around me and occasionally I will jump up in fright if I hear a nearby buzzing, throwing needles and yarn into the air, only to realise, red faced that there is enough sky to hold both me and the bumble bee who is innocently going about his business.  Yes, I like the outdoors so long as I don't have to do anything!


I finished my Juicy Danish Tie Shawl this week, that has been languishing in my knitting bag, waiting patiently to be completed.  It took so long because I ran out of wool and had to order more, then I got stuck into other projects and then the rows took so long top complete I was only working on it when a programme I needed to concentrate on came on the TV (garter stitch projects = don't need to look at my hands or concentrate on what they are doing).


It was a very enjoyable project, nice and mindless, the colour changes kept me going and I ended up doing only 5 repeats where I had thought I'd do 6.  It turned out the perfect size though and I adore the colours.  Nice and cheerful.


I also received my belated birthday present this week (it was a combined present from family) my new Saddleback Leather Large Chestnut Satchel.  Ooh, it's so pretty, and big, and smells incredible and looks great and I can't wait to use it now.  It's a complete tank of a bag and I'm sure I could probably fit the children in there!

Happy Knitting!

No comments:

Post a Comment