Foggy Sunset

Foggy Sunset
Photo by Aisling Doonan

Tuesday, 1 February 2011

Miss Mimi's Pelerine

Every so often Mimi will accost me and demand I knit her something, in a charming way that only 4 year old can.  'I need a cape, it has to be yellow and pink and must have buttons'.  I'll give her this much, she knows what she wants and she's not afraid to ask for exactly that!

So I oblige (not that I have a choice!) and I looked through my stash and rooted out all my jumper weight remnants and decided on Elizabeth Zimmerman's Pelerine as a pattern. 

It really flew off the needles, I was initially trying to mirror the stripes but realised quite quickly that I would need to be a mathematical genius to work out how much yarn to leave for the mirrored portion as it grows by 6 stitches every other row.  There is probably some equation for it but I was in too much of a hurry.  In the end I winged it at the end and just kept knitting until that particular colour ran out.  Great fun!

I added a crochet edging to 'prettify' it and blocked it yesterday.  After all my hard work, Mimi seemed a little uninterested when it was handed to her and it is now sitting on top of her toy basket in her room.  Still it was a good lesson in stash busting and I managed to annihilate my entire jumper weight stash.

I'll keep you posted on operation stash bust for my cobweb and lace weight yarns!  I have a feeling lot's more stripes are on their way.

I'm still waiting on my Jamieson & Smith order to come through so that I can finish my Natural Cape, I only have a small portion of the edging to complete.  I can't wait until it's finished, I'm dying to wear it!

Until then, happy knitting

xxx

2 comments:

  1. And what a lucky lady, Miss Mimi! Love and fun - terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She puts in an order every so often for something new! I'm either dressing her, or her dolls! Luckily it's a good way of using up odds and ends of yarn. She's learning to knit herself too!

    ReplyDelete