Foggy Sunset

Foggy Sunset
Photo by Aisling Doonan

Wednesday, 26 January 2011

Felted Bag Charms & a Lace Christening Shawl

It is so unbelievably gorgeous out today, it's hard to believe that this day last week the roads were covered in ice and it was impossible to travel!  The sun is shining (read: blinding, I have the curtains closed), it's fresh (read:  cold & breezy) and you can see blue sky (read: you can actually see blue sky!)  My little man is watching 'Humf' on TV and I'm wondering what I'm going to write about...


I spent the entire day yesterday in a frenzy of crochet and felting.  I have very little experience in felting woolly items, as you can see from this blog, I have only tried it a handful of times, but I think I have gotten over the fear of putting my woollies in the washing machine on a hot wash.


I have the coolest handbag.  No really, it is just so gorgeous!  As well as knitting, I am a handbag freak (you can't grow out of a handbag) and I am always on the lookout for a really nice one.  Surprisingly, I don't have a huge collection.  I own precisely 4 handbags & 2 clutches (one hand knit) as I don't have the room to keep a huge collection (small cottage + no storage = anti-handbag).  In saying that, they are all nice bags, all leather (bar the clutches & 1 Kipling Defea Handbag), 2 are Italian, 1 is from Texas.  I love my bags, they are all big as I carry EVERYTHING with me and I'm very attached to them, especially the Texas one which is from Saddleback Leather though the small bag in the picture is sadly discontinued!


Getting back to my crafting, I digress, I wanted to girlify my yummy bag and what better way to do that than with a handbag charm (not just for teenage girls!)  so I got my crochet hook out (quicker than knitting) and started making rosettes.  I just kept working, using different colours crocheting each ring to the last one to save on sewing (read: hate sewing & messy ends) until I was happy.  Then I threw them into the machine & crossed my fingers.



The above pictures are of the flowers before felting, they were really fun to make and it's a huge moment of anticipation waiting for them to emerge transformed from the machine.  I'll definitely be making more, I sense a felted handbag on the horizon!

The bag charms were really just a break from working on my cobweb lace christening shawl, a kit from Jamieson & Smith which I'm making for a friends nephew's christening.  I have finished the edging and almost the first of four balls of yarn, so technically I'm a quarter of the way there.  It only took 4 - 5 days to get through the first ball so that's comforting to know I could be finished in over two weeks.  Though I'm not all convinced I have enough yarn, still, I'm decreasing stitches every row now until I finish so it should grow quicker and quicker now.


So now I am going to log off, get ready to go into town with my new bag charms in place and show them off!



Happy knitting

No comments:

Post a Comment