Foggy Sunset

Foggy Sunset
Photo by Aisling Doonan

Wednesday, 29 December 2010

EZ Crazy & Year End


As we trundle along towards the end of another year, my mind turns to future projects and what I could possibly make in the New Year.  Last January, knee deep in snow and ice and no running water I buried my head in intricate lace cobweb shawls.  I hoped that by concentrating hard and giving into my new obsession that I would suddenly wake up, all the bad weather would be gone, and I would no longer be housebound (with a gigantic pile of dirty laundry to be done!).  This year, the bad weather has hit early and I find myself very much relieved that my Christmas shopping is neatly wrapped and sitting patiently under the tree and we have running water!  (I still have the gigantic pile of dirty laundry & the washing machine IS working this time!)  It has given me plenty of time though to cast my eye to the future and seriously think of what I honestly want to knit next year.  2010 was my year of Shetland lace and I wonder how many more shawls I can fit into my wardrobe.


I find myself happily knitting heavier yarns in acres and acres of garter stitch these chilly evenings.  Mostly because of the weather but also because by some miracle I have finally discovered the knitting architect and genius Elizabeth Zimmerman.  I cannot for the life of me understand why it has taken me this long to become acquainted with her, it’s not like she’s some obscure 19th century knitter!  Still, I am happy I have found her now, as it seems to fit in perfectly with where I am at present. 


I bought ‘Knitting Around’ at the Knitting & Stitching Show and I became an instant convert.  I have always loved seamless all in one garments, I mean, why sew and have an ugly seam if you don’t have to?  I began to plan lots of seamless jumpers for myself and the rest of the family and surely I NEED to try out the Pie are Square just to see how it actually works!  Such a genius idea.


So, for my future, I see acres upon acres of wonderfully simple garter stitch in 4ply and above, if only so I can watch all the Christmas Specials on TV rather than just listening to them! 






No comments:

Post a Comment