Foggy Sunset

Foggy Sunset
Photo by Aisling Doonan

Wednesday, 22 September 2010

BBC Classic Dramas, busy brain, busy hands!


We are now on week three of operation pre-school and it almost feels like I’ve gone back to school myself.  I have all the emotions without the education!  My eldest is four and a half and we are partaking in the Government scheme to send our children to a years worth of pre-school before Primary School next September.  So for 3 hours a day, 5 days a week she draws and paints to her hearts content, learns her letters and numbers (er, she knows them already???) and befriends her schoolmates before she ever sets foot in ‘Big School’.  And it’s all for free!  I should say that it is not really free, we end up paying for it one way or the other.  Before the Government announced this wonderful idea, we had an early childhood benefit payment of €1,000 a year, which was scrapped just before we got used to the little extra cash in our pockets.  Then they slashed the children’s allowance and added levies on wages all the while pretending that they ‘weren’t’ taxes.  So now, we must be grateful for free pre-school.  I won’t get too used to it, I guarantee that when my youngest is ready for it, that it will be a far distant memory.

The gorgeous sunny pictures are from Clonmacnoise where we spent a lovely day wandering around amongst the gravestones before school began.

So knitting is the only thing that keeps me sane in these troubled times.  I had another project keeping me very busy up until last week so that’s why I’ve been quiet of late.  Happily, though I am now back on track and click clacking away to my hearts content.  My Peerie Smoorikins Shawl is coming along nicely and I’m almost finished with the borders.  I plan to knit across the top of the shawl (across the raw edge left by the border side) so that I will have live stitches to attach the border to.  I didn’t do this with my Spring Shawl and I found that I confused myself trying to pick up a loop and attach the edging at the same time.  It really is large.  My lap is nice and toasty when I’m sitting knitting, so these chilly evenings are no problem to me!


So with only an almost two year old (he’s two on the 24th!) at home in the mornings now, I can knit in peace while he plays at my feet!  I also get to indulge in some BBC period dramas (I collected them when they were out about two years ago) so from now on I can ‘seem’ to be a very well read person!  Today it was ‘Wives & Daughters’, yesterday it was ‘Madame Bovary’ and last week was ‘Sense & Sensibility’ and ‘Great Expectations’.  I have read a lot of them before but it is always nice to see them played out in front of you.  Sometimes you can get a better sense of the story, especially if the English is hard to wade through.  

Every time I read Pride & Prejudice, I am put off from reading anything else and they all seem to inferior by comparison.  As you can see my one solitary bookshelf is a little crowded.  I haven't read all of  them yet but I'll be kept busy for a while!    

I am happily inundated with the news of four new additions to the world over the next 6 months and in response to this, I decided a baby blanket was the best thing to make, as they are close friends but second babies (lots of clothes and toys already).  I have the design charted out; it will be in Shetland Supreme 2ply, made in the Shetland Shawl style, with a centre square with four borders and an edging.  I can’t wait to start it and see how it all turns out, and of course to meet the blankets recipients!  Watch this space; I intend to start on it in the next month or so.   

The blue edging is for a hap I'm knitting in Jamieson & Smith 2ply Jumper Weight.  More photos soon, I don't expect it to take too long, I'm knitting it in the round on a 5mm needle.

It’s so nice to be back knitting again!  

No comments:

Post a Comment