Foggy Sunset

Foggy Sunset
Photo by Aisling Doonan

Thursday, 30 September 2010

Bankie & Cardi-Hap


The sun is so strong this afternoon I have to close the curtains here in the sitting room to see the computer screen!  We get a lot of light in this room all day long, as there are large windows at each end.  Pity it also draws attention to the dust bunnies…


I promised myself I would tidy and clean like a demon this week; so far I haven’t even managed to turn on the hoover once.  I am a disgrace!  I cannot bring myself to break out the rubber gloves and Milton.  Life is too short, right?  I mean, there’s knitting to be done!  Take note that could be my epitaph.


Now that I’m back to my knitting mojo, I’m working up a storm.  I finished my Blankie Hap yesterday after only 8 days (I even surprise myself!) and I blocked it on our bed.  I just adore how it turned out, it’s fantastic to look at and toasty to wear.  I love how the colours change and wave around the centre.  The corners are especially cool; as they don’t come to a point like the others I made but gracefully loop round in a continuous motion.  I keep coming up with other colour combo’s in my head so I may make a few more of these and I will definitely use the same construction method (check out Sharon Miller’s Shetland Hap book for all details) as I love the way the side shapings are done and knitting borders inwards is a fun way to do it. 


This is my fifth hap (Cora, Traditional Hap, Amy’s Traditional Hap – which is smaller to fit her and Cobweb Crepe) and I don’t think I could ever get bored making them.  I’ve made them all slightly differently, all from patterns (with a little modification) and I never fail to be immensely pleased when they are all laid out on the bed on my blocking wires.  I bought Sharon Miller’s book a while ago and fell in love with the detail and history included in it.  For such a simple shawl pattern, so many variations are available and each shawl has a personality of its own.  They can be used as blankets, baby shawls, christening shawls, dress wear, invalid wear, prayer shawls, and the list goes on.  There is no limit to the colour variations either and you can have one for every outfit and occasion!  You can’t really grow out of a shawl.

My blankie hap is different from the others as it is knit with Jamieson & Smith 2ply Jumper weight wool, which equates to fingering or four-ply yarn.  I added a lacy edging and included a lace pattern in the centre instead of plain knit garter stitch to make it prettier.  I’m used to working with lace or cobweb weight so this shawl just grew and grew, quicker and quicker!  Initially on the needles I thought it was a little small for what I wanted it for but once I blocked it I got a fright as it turned into a huge square – it possibly would’ve blocked larger but I ran out of ‘bed’!  It’s roughly 60” square but with a larger space I might get a few more inches on it.  I was also worried that it was a little bulky for folding in half and wearing as a triangle but when blocked it flattened out considerably and looks well on the shoulders.  Though it is so warm you could possibly turn off the central heating in winter and live in the shawl! 

I bought lots of yarn just to be sure (the colour range was so vast and beautiful it was hard to choose just five colours) and now that I have lots left over (amounts and yardage are on my Ravelry project page) so my four year old daughter has requested one.  I’m making her a half hap (triangle rather than square) large enough to go around her and tie at the back so that she can wear it instead of a cardigan (hence the Cardi-Hap!).  I started it yesterday and it’s progressing nicely.  Now I have to find a nice chunky button to add to the end to fasten them behind her back.


Once I’ve gotten over my hap-obsession I’ll be back to working on my Peerie Smoorikins Shawl.  Almost onto the edging on it so in a few weeks it should be finished. 

Take care and happy knitting!

3 comments:

  1. Lovely! You might be kindling a hap obsession in me. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee, hee, there's plenty of room for more Hap enthusiasts. What more can you ask for, interseting and satisfying to make, warm and comfy to wear and use and they have a myriad of uses from dressing gown to umbrella! Everyone should have one! I'm going to make one for each of my children now so they can keep and treasure them!

    ReplyDelete