Foggy Sunset

Foggy Sunset
Photo by Aisling Doonan

Thursday, 27 August 2009

Lerwick Shawl by Sharon Miller

I had some left over Shetland Supreme wool in Natural and I decided to begin the centre of this shawl to see if I could manage the pattern. I kept knitting until I ran out of wool and since it’s two-ply, I found the every row pattern easy enough to do. But that was before I discovered I was doing my yarnovers wrong so when I received my new package of wool I ripped it back and began again. It’s even better now, I have to admit and easy to work. I have one and a half more repeats to complete on the centre now and I like it so much I’m considering making it in the one ply gossamer also in Fawn with a lacier centre and a different edging. The one ply shawl pattern is also borders inwards, which I have never attempted before so that will be an experience.

Have just completed the centre and have picked up all 724 stitches for the borders. Looking forward to sitting down tonight when the kids are in bed and beginning the border. I have to admit that I am a little anxious! I know that I can manage every row patterning when I’m knitting back and forth on straight needles. I don’t know how I’ll fare out when I’m knitting in the round and purling every other row. How do you make you’re decreases slant whichever way when purling? It’s a question I’ll have to ask methinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment